ST - Agate Black - Street pack ordered | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ST - Agate Black - Street pack ordered

BobT2k

Reaction score
City, State
Whippany
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer ST
Callsign
N2RKU
Long time lurker, first time poster.... ordered an ST from my local dealer back in February... thanks to this forum I've determined its a dealer stock order, and was manufactured 6/7. Like everyone else, dealer hasn't been much help....

that said... what's weird is I saw it show up online as dealer ordered, and I could use the VIN tool to get the window sticker.... then all of a sudden that stopped working ... its no longer dealer stock and VIN tool no longer works.... Dealer says it may be because its marked "sold"... but I'm suspicious / worried... anyone experience this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Bob.:wave:
I'm also leery of that "Sold" part that the dealer suggested. The vehicle isn't actually 'sold' until you sign the paperwork once it has arrived at the dealership. You said it was showing as dealer stock but no longer does. Has it changed status or just not showing at all?

Peter

The screen shot from their system still shows it (as sent offsite). But it was once showing as "ordered" through the Ford website for that dealer, and is no longer. Similarly with the VIN tool.

Seeing it was built on the 7th, it could be that it has gone back to the factory for a final inspection. I believe many of the early builds were held in a large lot waiting for the 'Okay to Buy' to be issued. There are posts along those lines.

Peter

Yeah, I saw the posts about going back for re-inspection... I was also hopeful that it was built in the one week window of OK TO BUY that its wouldn't be subject to some of the early issues... and I extended my current 2016 Sport through July as I didn't expect it to clear inspection / get shipped right away. But it was just weird to see it show up and then disappear from the consumer facing systems...

And today it showed up again... both on ford.com and the vin tool.. now just need it to show up at the dealer....

For what its worth... dealer just updated the status... Loaded on a rail car on 6/28, sitting in Melvindal MI on july 4th. Destination is NJ, and no update since then... My guess is waiting for other cars from the detroit plants to be loaded to make a big enough train set to send to port newark....

For what its worth... dealer just updated the status... Loaded on a rail car on 6/28, sitting in Melvindal MI on july 4th. Destination is NJ, and no update since then... My guess is waiting for other cars from the detroit plants to be loaded to make a big enough train set to send to port newark....

I bought my 16XP new and they shipped it via Truck to NY. No trains. The delivery took about 1 week. I don't know if those truck drivers drive 24 hours straight or what, but it was pretty quick.

FYI, truckers are allowed a 14 hour window to drive a max. of 11 hours. They must then take a 10 consecutive hour break before driving again. I suppose a truck could have 2 drivers but the trucks I've seen pull up to my dealership only had a single driver.

Peter

so... ST i have deposit on still shows as at the mustang plant. no ETA. But different dealer down the street has the same ST with the same specs on site. Tempted to see if they will beat the price enough to walk away from the deposit. Anyone ever do that? (only negative is that noticed a few scratches in the hood when i walked around it... looked like someone put a clipboard on the hood and mad a few parallel light scratches in the hood when they picked it up... not sure if this is a deal breaker )

I'll say it again, if one is paying $60k for a vehicle, it better be damn perfect. I would not accept any scratches or blemishes in a brand new vehicle period.

oh, ordered one is 6/7 build dated, and one on lot is 6/27 build date

I'll say it again, if one is paying $60k for a vehicle, it better be damn perfect. I would not accept any scratches or blemishes in a brand new vehicle period.

Agreed... but assuming they are willing to fix it... I'm still wondering if its a deal breaker that i have a fixed one vs the chance that the ordered vehicle won't require any fixes... I tend to trust the long term relationship with the ordered dealer as well, while i've had bad experiences at the "on lot" dealer... though they are under new management.... I'm leaning towards waiting.... though it will mean another month extension on my current lease...

Agreed... but assuming they are willing to fix it... I'm still wondering if its a deal breaker that i have a fixed one vs the chance that the ordered vehicle won't require any fixes... I tend to trust the long term relationship with the ordered dealer as well, while i've had bad experiences at the "on lot" dealer... though they are under new management.... I'm leaning towards waiting.... though it will mean another month extension on my current lease...

I am just very particular, it is why I order every vehicle. When mine arrive, my guy keeps the keys personally and stores it inside. I also dont allow them to detail it as I do not want any type of swirls or fine lines put in the clearcoat.

I would never accept a repaint, it is not nearly as good as factory on a brand new vehicle. And if it is just the clear, how much are they going to take off till it gets buffed out?

Sorry, I just wouldn't do it but again, I am particular to my vehicles.

I am just very particular, it is why I order every vehicle. When mine arrive, my guy keeps the keys personally and stores it inside. I also dont allow them to detail it as I do not want any type of swirls or fine lines put in the clearcoat.

I would never accept a repaint, it is not nearly as good as factory on a brand new vehicle. And if it is just the clear, how much are they going to take off till it gets buffed out?

Sorry, I just wouldn't do it but again, I am particular to my vehicles.

Yeah... that's the way i'm leaning.... if I knew i was leasing and turning in in a fixed time then i would consider it differently... but since i'm heavily leaning towards purchasing this one (my work driving requirements have changed and I'll likely significantly exceed any lease) then i'm leaning towards not as I'm sure that this would not be covered under a warranty / extended if the repair had a shorter life span. I get it that anything can happen even with the factory... but why knowingly go that way?

Back