LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex

LD50 Full-size axle thread `93 Ex SAS

Hey fellow Explorer enthusiasts!

Well I never thought I`d do it, but it`s time.
I originally thought I would go to a smaller rig one day but I`m going to beef up the Explorer instead. Since I already have a huge thread on my previous work I decided to start fresh.

If you would like to see my previous mods, you can navigate from my signature link, or click here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=523171#post523171

~

My plans are to install a D44 and 9-inch into the station wagon and run 35 inch tires. Hopefully she`ll still get in the garage, but if it don`t then oh well. During this I also have some body work to do.

Right now I have the rear end out, I took off the spare tire hanger and removed the muffler and rear most heat shield. (doors are off for body work)Next the gas tank comes out so I can prep the underside for rust protection, from the t-case back. In the meantime I am trying to sell some parts for cash.

First big decision is what gear ratio. The 4.10`s on 33s was nice, but I think I`d like a bit more torque than that so I`m thinking 4.88 or 5.13s.

Attachments

• prep.JPG
    prep.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 10,433

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks there!

Hey I tell you when you decide you are throwing away the calipers from one of these old axles Keep the banjo nuts that fasten your hose to the calipers.

The parts store doesn`t seem to have it listed, so I`m going to have to hit the scrap yards for them. I had those darn calipers around for ages and chucked them away, not thinking it would matter.

So I still had other stuff anyway, like my engine crossmember.
I trimmed it to where it was even enough, and put a peice of cardboard over the gap, then hit the edges with a hammer. The pattern it left I marked over with a felt pen, then cut it out for my template. I sat that on my steel plate and marked it in chalk, then cut it out and cleaned it up.
Then I welded it on there.

Attachments

• engine crossmember finish weld.JPG
    engine crossmember finish weld.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 696
  • engine crossmember finish weld 2.JPG
    engine crossmember finish weld 2.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 686
  • engine crossmember finish paint.JPG
    engine crossmember finish paint.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 693

My idea for brake line was just to get something long, so at the parts store we came up with these:

Brake hose part #BH38261
Brake hose part #BH38260

They are 2 feet long and made to be mounted in the middle somewhere, but in my case I slid the bracket up to the end and used it as an upper fastening bracket.
After trying different locations, this seemed best.

Attachments

• brake line routing 1.JPG
    brake line routing 1.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 696
  • brake line routing 2.JPG
    brake line routing 2.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 706

The hose end needs an 8th of an inch shaved off it to fit the caliper..

Attachments

• trim brake line banjo.JPG
    trim brake line banjo.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 693

Looking good. Your almost there. I would be working all night on this thing if I were as close as you. I would be so excited to have it finished. Guess thats how you make a mistake.

I`d be working right now if not for the lack of banjo bolts!

Been looking into shocks today, I`m thinking some type of adjustable, I liked having my adjustable Ranchos up front in the last setup, and I`d like the same option all around. Other than knowing that, I have no idea which ones to get?
I`m also looking at how the lower coil mounts don`t look like they would want to be hanging from the coils too much. I`m thinking limiting straps to protect both the shocks and to keep too much strain off those lower seats. Anyway, gotta sort all that out soon.

Go figure, I pulled the right size banjo bolts off of an 82 Ford F-150 at the scrap yard. I had to go to the city anyways, but if I had known I`ll bet they would be listed at the parts store.

I ran new front brake lines, from the ABS unit out. I almost took out the ABS unit, because it is useless now, but it doesn`t hurt to still be in there, so I left it.

The two ports on it are different sizes and I saved the line ends that fit them to re-use when I re-did the lines.
brake line is cheap, and the magic tool here, that I was able to borrow, is a flaring tool for thin wall tubing.

Attachments

• brake line flaring tool 1.JPG
    brake line flaring tool 1.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 647

For demonstration I took some pics, it`s really quite easy.

You cut to length, put the thread connection back in place, and clamp it in the unit, with an amount sticking out that is equal to the insert shoulder.
The insert keeps the inside diameter and simultaneously mushrooms the end when it is clamped down.

(obviously you wouldn`t clamp the brake line in a vice, I`m just showing how while being able to take pictures)

Attachments

• brake line flaring tool 3.JPG
    brake line flaring tool 3.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 649
  • brake line flaring tool 2.JPG
    brake line flaring tool 2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 645

Then you slip the screw clamp on and tighten it until it it bottoms out.
And there ya go.

Attachments

• brake line flaring tool 4.JPG
    brake line flaring tool 4.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 638
  • brake line flaring tool 5.JPG
    brake line flaring tool 5.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 663

hydraulic brake system is in, full of fluid, bled and ready to rock.
I ran my lines thusly:

Attachments

• brake line routing 3.JPG
    brake line routing 3.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 640
  • brake line routing 4.JPG
    brake line routing 4.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 645

My very expensive jam nuts came in today, so I put all the steering componentry back together, and put the tires on, and adjusted my jackstands so they would be off the floor.
To align, I got it close, roughly centered the tires. Then I put masking tape on the center of each tire and drew two marks as close to tire center as I figured. Then I measured across from line to line at the front of the Ex and then rotated the tires so the marks were now 180* from the front, then measured that, adjusted my tie-rod, re-measured, etc.
Once I had a measurement that was 3/32" less at the front, I adjusted my drag link until my steering wheel was centered.
There ya go, of course my steering wheel may still be a little off, but I won`t be able to fine tune it till I`m on the road.

I sat the tires back on the ground and wanted to flex it out for shock choice, but I don`t have enough jack to flex it very far, gotta think of something else for that..

Anyway, it`s insane, I don`t know about trying to find flares wide enough either. Do I get a 4" flare as opposed to my 2 inchers and still not be legal, or do I takes my chances. Hmmm. Not my daily driver so I`m wondering if I can get away with it like so many other guys I see with tires past their fenders...

Attachments

• front tires on 1.JPG
    front tires on 1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 699
  • front tires on 2.JPG
    front tires on 2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 654

Wow. I must say that you have one of the cleanest trucks I've seen. You do some nice work. Thanks for all the great pictures and how to's. Gets me all excited to get mine done.

Do you have a body lift?

Sexy. Get some bushwacker fender flares or ask fat cat what he used to use.

FLARES:

attachment.php

I have the saddleman 2 inch flares now, and I know they come in 4 inch, those look like or are similiar to saddleman.

Fat Cat used pacer fender flares in the above pic. See City Bus fender flare thread for more info and pics.

Back