stabilizer bar link and bolt replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stabilizer bar link and bolt replacement

spotted dogs

Reaction score
City, State
merritt, bc, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ltd 4.0 sohc
I have to replace my driver's side stabilizer bar link and bolt...it's broken...or at least seperated at the top (the bolt is gone...sheared off) ...do i replace both sides or not worry too much about the other side if its intact?
thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd replace both. New bushings will handle differently from old worn-in ones, and it's cheap insurance.

Replacement is pretty straightforward. Usually, the nuts on the link will be pretty rusted. I used a sawzall last time to remove, but an angle grinder would work too.

Its a RECALL item. You shouldnt have to spend money on this. Ford sent out a recall about this issue with the sway bar links fracturing. Take it to the dealer and have them replace it.

well my drivers side link just sheered off in the past few days. so i called several dealerships and they all said that it was not a reccall item, so i dont know whats up with that.

[QUOTE='97 V8]Its a RECALL item. You shouldnt have to spend money on this. Ford sent out a recall about this issue with the sway bar links fracturing. Take it to the dealer and have them replace it.[/QUOTE]

Only vehicles manufactured through 10/31/96 were affected, and the vehicle is only covered for the first 10 years or 100,000 miles after the original warranty start date.

If your dealer asks, it's safety recall 00S47, formerly 00M11.

-Joe

Back