Stalling and check engine light is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling and check engine light is on

eview326

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
About three months ago my check engine light came on and my truck started stalling on hot startups. Now its gotten worse it stalls everytime now after i start it when its hot and sometimes it will stall out while i'm driving! My guess is that its a bad o2 sensor but im not sure. can anybody help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If we knew what code was turning on the light we'd have a start. There are oh, about 300 or so possible things which would do that. Get the code read and come back and tell us what number code you got. THEN we can be of some help!

where can i get the code scanned for free?

sorry

but youll probably have to pay for it...unless you know a mech...your best bet is to get them to give your truck a diagnostic and hope its something simple...if you feel daring you can read the codes yourself but it is a royal pain in the ass. youd be better off just going and getiing it read out for you. good luck.

"if you feel daring you can read the codes yourself but it is a royal pain in the ass."

Sorry I STRONGLY DISAGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT

On a 96, which is OBD -II, if you have a code reader it is no more difficult to read codes than plugging in a table lamp and turning it on. You DO need a code reader though, and those cost about $50 to $60 these days. Best $$ you will ever spend on a tool for your Explorer.

Try Auto Zone. They read mine for free!

Back