Stalling Explorer

Explorer #1

Reaction score
City, State
Fond Du Lac, Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
2000 explorer 4.0 sohc auto 4x4

truck has ran perfect for months no issues, today the wife took it to work fine went a few places after work fine then she stopped at the last place came out and it wouldn't start, cranks over no start

so I go there cranking it over, i can taste the gas in the air cranking it over, it reeks like gas and sulfur. It starts if you floor it it coughs to start, in park or n it wont idle at all. It took me A dozen tries to have to dump it into gear it kept dyeing going from p or n into a gear but when i finally got it in gear it idles at a high 1500 but it runs fine, its just getting it into the gear is the issue.

so i limp it home somewhat fine it never died after i got it in gear but she was pretty sluggish and slow pretty sure I used 1/8th tank driving like 6 miles

i get it home, i unhooked the battery cleaned it up, did nothing. took the iac off and maf cleaned it all out with spray and it somewhat helped but not really

after i cleaned stuff it sit and idle at 2k then just cough then die, but I have to floor it for it to start

sometimes giving it gas saves it sometimes it just coughs out

plugs and wires 2/12, just changed the fuel filter in august, 0 problems at all then out of nowhere it just wont start

* started it this morning after sitting all night, starts by itself fine. It idles solid now park or neutral just fine but whenever I go from p or n into a gear it instantly coughs and dies like its flooding, I have to pin it to the floor and it stumbles to start sounds like a 2 stroke then it idles fine its just I cant get into gear without it dying with out completely. No CEL light at all so far

Sorry for the long post and details, just trying to get my daily going again and need help :thumbsup:

Back