• Register Today It's free!

Stalling/rough idle....

shocar

Reaction score
City, State
Campbellford, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport/1999 XLS
99 XLS, When I start the truck to warm it up, it runs good for a few mins, then it will rev up and down for a few seconds. It will rev back up for a few mins, then rev up and down again. It will do that for about ten mins and then stall. Starts right back up with out any issues. This morning I was on the road for 10 mins and parked for a few minutes with the engine running and stalled. about 5 mins down the road a car was turning in front of me, so as I stopped behind them and the engine was dropping the revs to about 300-500 rpm's but never stalled. I had issues with my old explorer and had the intake o rings replaced but this doesn't seem like the same problem. Any ideas where to start looking?? Can I pull codes without a code reader?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry... it's a 4.0L OHV engine.

Sounds like intake manifold gaskets.. Once it warms up they swell and when cold they shrink, mine is doing it now..

I am going to check for vacuum leaks... When its warmed up it still runs rough and thats why I was thinking something other than the intake gaskets.

Get trouble codes read free from most auto parts chain stores. Call around.

I am having the exact same issues with my 2000 xls OHV. Does somebody have a link to the manifold gasket kit needed

Back