Standard factory rear window tint | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Standard factory rear window tint

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wonder if it might have been ordered as a fleet option? I could see privacy glass delete being an option for fleet sales.
our fleet ones at work have the tint. my guess is there is a law or cost cutting measure from the place they are exported from or to that does not affect us ones.

The UK tint law is stricter than any of those in the States. It would seem the window tint was spec'd for the UK.
The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.

Here
Window Tint Laws in the USA: How Dark Can You Go? are the comparable U.S. ones.

Peter
The 75% only applies to the windshield and the front doors in the UK. Any glass behind that can be tinted as dark as you want. The rear glass is what he wants tinted so he should not have an issue there. A tint shop should be able to advise how dark to go to get the look he wants.

our fleet ones at work have the tint. my guess is there is a law or cost cutting measure from the place they are exported from or to that does not affect us ones.
That's why I said option. Doesn't mean every fleet doesn't have privacy glass, just that a fleet could order vehicles without it if they should want to. You could imagine a scenario where a fleet might make the decision that they don't want privacy glass for the purpose of (in their estimation) improving visibility either into or out of the back of the vehicle. Again, optional.

The 75% only applies to the windshield and the front doors in the UK. Any glass behind that can be tinted as dark as you want. The rear glass is what he wants tinted so he should not have an issue there. A tint shop should be able to advise how dark to go to get the look he wants.

That's the same as I posted only a bit longer in detail. Perhaps Ford decided to just go with the 70% tint all around to be safe? :dunno:
It won't prevent darkening the rest if one wanted to.

Peter

Back