• Register Today It's free!

Standard factory rear window tint

Captain Slow

Reaction score
City, State
London
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Limited 4WD
Hello Everyone, could you advise what % light transmission does the 2020 Platinum rear window tint have?
I have a 2020 limited and would like to get the rear windows tinted to factory. Any info or advise would be great.

Have a great day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe factory is 20%. To clarify, aren't the windows tinted already?

I'd like to see clarification of "rear window". To me the rear window is the one in the liftgate, to others, it could mean the 2nd row windows or cargo area windows. All of which are already tinted. Perhaps the OP meant he would like to get the front driver and passenger windows tinted to match the existing ones. :dunno:

Peter

Hello again, to clarify the 2nd row and load area and lift gate. The car does have the standard light factory tint all round but I want to get the look of the platinum with the dark tint.

This is my Ex ST Line with factory tint on the rear. I got the front tinted as close to factory as I could. Perhaps you could add a pic of yours so we could see the "light" tint you are speaking of.

20220504_135048.jpg 20220505_123524.jpg

factory is super close to 20 however unlike when you get them tinted aftermarket they are not a film and are actually dyed that color hence why they never fade or wear.

Hello again, to clarify the 2nd row and load area and lift gate. The car does have the standard light factory tint all round but I want to get the look of the platinum with the dark tint.
I thought they all had the same factory tint regardless of trim. I had a 2017 Platinum and can't say I noticed any difference between it and the other Ford/Lincoln vehicles I've had although it does look darker than your bottom picture. A lot depends on the daylight and angles.

Peter

2017 Platinum3.JPG

I don't recall ever seeing such a light tint on any of my vehicles.

Peter

That is definitely not factory tint. Perhaps the glass was replaced for some reason? Weird.

All of the glass Is original. The vehicle is a limited spec not Platinum. It is the platinum dark tint I want to replicate.

All of the glass Is original. The vehicle is a limited spec not Platinum. It is the platinum dark tint I want to replicate.
Even my 2011 Limited looked like the 2017 Platinum that I posted a picture of. Not sure what is going on. I've seen plenty of non Platinums around here but none with that light of a tint. Will have to keep checking then now.

Peter

I have a hunch that might be it is because he is in the U.K.

Well now it all makes sense. I never thought to look at the location.

I have a hunch that might be it is because he is in the U.K.
Good catch Dale. As someone who grew up in London, Ontario, I kept thinking that was where he was.

Peter

i would guess all uk spec cars have the windows without tint if your platinum does. all the us ones have the tint on the rear windows. my xlt with no options has it as does the base model that runs around my town. uk probably has a different legality on tint than the us.

Ford does not sell the Explorer in the UK I imported it from the USA in November 2021 it is a Limited spec 4WD.

The mystery continues! Perhaps you could contact Ford to see if they can assist.

Ford does not sell the Explorer in the UK I imported it from the USA in November 2021 it is a Limited spec 4WD.
When you ordered it, was it ordered as an export vehicle? In other words, did Ford know it was to be shipped overseas?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wonder if it might have been ordered as a fleet option? I could see privacy glass delete being an option for fleet sales.

Back