Standard vs Sport Brakes | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Standard vs Sport Brakes

The production date is 02/13 on my Ltd and it also has the HD brakes on the front (despite most of the stuff I read online stating that they would be SD, because that factory shift to HD was listed as starting 03/13).

Seems like the only safe method of knowing is to take the pads out and look at them, the HD and SD have different shapes.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Sport/Police brake rotors are 352mm front and rear and standard brake rotors are 322mm i believe. Over an inch difference in size. I think its fairly easy to upgrade to HD with the correct brackets but also need 18" or bigger wheels. The rotors are basically 14" tall

Sport/Police brake rotors are 352mm front and rear and standard brake rotors are 322mm i believe. Over an inch difference in size. I think its fairly easy to upgrade to HD with the correct brackets but also need 18" or bigger wheels. The rotors are basically 14" tall
This has been a topic of much discussion. As of 3/13, all Explorers were to receive the same HD brakes as the Sport.

Peter

This has been a topic of much discussion. As of 3/13, all Explorers were to receive the same HD brakes as the Sport.

Peter
I used the Ford Truck VIN Decoder site mentioned early on in this discussion to look up my ‘17 Explorer Platinum and there’s not much mentioned about the front except that they are in fact rotors. It gives the rear rotor size (12.8” or 325mm) but in my researching parts stores, it seems like the front rotors are the larger 13.8 or 352mm size.

(Also, sorry about the tag Peter. I couldn’t get the page to work on my phone for replying unless I tapped the Reply button on someone’s post. Yours just so happened to be the last one on the thread!)

Back