start of construction for 15, a 10, amp rack w. two batteries and maybe a screen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

start of construction for 15, a 10, amp rack w. two batteries and maybe a screen

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
here are the first pics of my box i've started work on.

subs are going to be inverted so that the baskets are exposed and are facing the middle of the roof back there. i have two 8012 batteries and all the amps to go inside the "false floor" portion and it will be cooled by aluminum fans with cool flamed grilles. all of the surfaces facing up will be fiberglassed and painted and the other surfaces will probably be carpeted (just 'cause my golf clubs would scratch paint- and there is enough room for them back there behind the box). the section between the boxes that are in the pics will be filled with a front firing box for a ten or an 8" (i'm gonna ditch my 6000 8" and upgade) and will likely have a screen on the back end of it where it can be easily viewed from lawnchairs at shows.

i know the box construction isn't flawless- i miscut a couple of the pieces, and was too lazy to redo them. However, its all going to be covered with a layer of 1/2 mdf that isn't in there yet and its plenty strong as it is (understatement)

let me know what you think so far...

Attachments

• boxfirst1.jpg
    boxfirst1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 547

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

at the very least its aggressive right?

Attachments

• boxfirst2.jpg
    boxfirst2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 567

please don't tell me mtx sucks

Attachments

• boxfirst3.jpg
    boxfirst3.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 551

especially if you haven't seen the magnet structure of a 9500

Attachments

• boxfirst5.jpg
    boxfirst5.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 555

The box has 22 pieces in the structure that is actually the enclosure- the entire plan has over 100 cuts and around 50 pieces

Attachments

• boxfirst6.jpg
    boxfirst6.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 545

looks like it will be pretty sweet when done....good work
Im a fan of inverted mags!

let us know how the 9500series works!

hey, thanks man

i'll definitely let you know how they work. the 12 i've heard in action in a sealed box just about killed me- lol.

sweet.. im thinking of redoing my system too.. keep us posted..

mtx sucks!!

hehe, jk jk. it looks sweet so far, cant imagine what it'll look like but cant wait to see it!

yap i agree MTX SUCKS...kicker OWNS JU!!!!!!!!!! lol j/k =) looking very nice cant wait to see what u are going to top it off with

;)

f

Attachments

• boxsubside.jpg
    boxsubside.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 505

and this is for each sub shipped seperately

Attachments

• boxsubweight.jpg
    boxsubweight.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 494

one more

Attachments

• boxsub2ofem.jpg
    boxsub2ofem.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 488

lol nice setup so far...you gong to port those boxes or is it a seald thing? if seald can that wood take the vibes with out cracking? those speakers look like they can POUND...just wondering.

Looks like he has two 3/4" mdf pieces put together.. So the box is about an inch and a half thick all the way around.

Should be plenty.

Originally posted by metalhed
Looks like he has two 3/4" mdf pieces put together.. So the box is about an inch and a half thick all the way around.

Should be plenty.

and there will be another layer of 1/2 mdf that isn't in there yet it will be plenty strong

its two layers of mdf joined with plentiful wood glue and one screw every 4 inches or so to form one 1.5" sheet. then its attached with 2.5" screws every 3 or 4 inches all the way around the box. it is also internally braced, and sealed with silicon and lacquered just to provide seal and strength. i think its gonna be fine

yes- that is also true, thanks Brice

there will be a 1/2 inch layer all around that is mostly for cosmetic reasons but it will also provide some back up strength.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i def wanna see pics when its done...looks killer so far...haha only if my rear leafs could handle all that weight

Scott

Back