• Register Today It's free!

Starter Removal

giblit88

Reaction score
City, State
Torrington, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
I have unbolted the starter- but there is seemingly no clearance to get the old starter out. Anybody have any hints/tips before i start to tear the front axle off so I can get it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have unbolted the starter- but there is seemingly no clearance to get the old starter out. Anybody have any hints/tips before i start to tear the front axle off so I can get it out?
welcome to the forum.

i have not had to tackle the starter on my X, but i have seen many post about starter removal, use the link below to search through the archives until someone with experience replies.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/search.php

Here you go
Section 03-06: Starting System 1995 Aerostar/Ranger/Explorer Workshop Manual

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starter Motor
WARNING: WHEN SERVICING STARTER MOTOR (11001) OR PERFORMING ANY MAINTENANCE IN THE AREA OF THE STARTER MOTOR , NOTE THE HEAVY GAUGE INPUT LEAD CONNECTED TO THE STARTER SOLENOID (11390) IS HOT AT ALL TIMES. MAKE SURE THE PROTECTIVE CAP IS INSTALLED OVER THE TERMINAL AND IS REPLACED AFTER SERVICE.

Removal

Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301) .
Raise and support the vehicle.
CAUTION: When disconnecting hardshell connector at S terminal, grasp the plastic shell and pull off. Do not pull on wire. Be careful to pull straight off to prevent damage to the connector and S terminal. If any part of the connection is damaged, replace the damaged components.

Disconnect starter cable and push-on connector from starter solenoid .
Remove upper bolt.
Remove lower bolt.
Remove the starter motor from the vehicle.
Installation

Position starter motor to engine and install upper and lower bolt finger-tight.
Tighten the upper bolt to 22-28 Nm (16-21 lb-ft).
Tighten the lower bolt to 22-28 Nm (16-21 lb-ft).
Connect connector on starter solenoid . Be careful to push straight on and make sure connector locks in position with a notable click or detent.
Install starter cable nut to terminal. Tighten to 11-13 Nm (91-122 lb-in).
Replace red safety cap.
Lower vehicle to floor.
NOTE: When the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

Connect battery ground cable .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the thing- It's unbolted- I just can't seem to get the damned thing out between the front diff and the tranny/oil pan. I was hoping someone who's removed theirs would have some sort of hint on how to get it out.

Hi, I recently replaced my starter on 5.0 engine. I had to pull it back and then turn it up on its end, then removed the wiring connections, then was able to wiggle the starter out.

changed out the starter on my Mounty couple or 3 weeks ago, was able to work it past the tranny cooler lines after I loosened up the clamp holding the lines.

I' ve got a 4oh v6. Thx for the ideas though I'll drop back under the car and give it another wiggle or too

i just did this on my 94 and 97 x's both 4.0 ohv's

the 94 was cake but the 97 is tight.as said earlier once it's unbolted remove your cables and turn it around and it will barely clear but will come out.

What gap did u use to get it to clear? I turned it around but can't get it to come down :-(

Rotated the motor down and had to wobble and curse the flange past the lines.

The solenoid gets hung up making it a bear to get out. Pull the starter out of the bell housing, towards the front of the rig.When it's clear of the bell housing, turn the starter to get the solenoid facing out (side of rig) then lift the front end(cable side) upwards. Wiggle it as you slide it down and out. This is a pita for sure, but can be done.

giblit I just noticed your in CT. you out in the rain doing this?

Haven't really made any progress since sunday

The lip is getting hung up on oil pan as the back side hits the diff. I need like a half inch of clearance. Thing is making me lose sleep.

Do you have transmission cooler lines running parralel to the starter? I had to unbolt the bracket on mine to give me room to flex the lines and drop the starter.

no the cooler lines are on the other side- I have a 4.0 v6, not a 5.0

Sorry 'bout that, never had to do the starter when I had my 94

no the cooler lines are on the other side- I have a 4.0 v6, not a 5.0

giblit88...what was the outcome of your starter removal? I have the same problem. Don't let this thread die until you post your results, please!!!

i`m about to try to tackle this tomorrow. any helpful ideas????????????:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back