• Register Today It's free!

starting issue

metallica1283

Reaction score
City, State
North Reading Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 limited RIP, 93 XLT
i have a 94 limited ive posted on here before the truck clicks at the fender relay but nothing happens. so far i have replaced the battery cables and the starter what should i do now?? fender relay? what else possibly is there? any help is greatly appriciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it would be helpfull if you could tell us how many volts your battery has, Key Off Engine Off (KOEO) and how many volts Key On Engine On (KOEO)

Chattering (clicks) at the fender solenoid usually means the battery is low or connections from battery are dirty. (you've replaced cables)

One loud click when the battery is up, I go after the bottom connection of the braided cable between the starter soleniod and the starter motor itself.
Usually just loosen and retighten does the trick. Happens about once a year.
(you've replaced starter)

Low volts on a standing battery doesn't neccessarily mean the battery is bad, could be the ALt isn't charging enough.

If Alt is putting out around 14 - 14.5 volts the battery should hold in the high 12's engine off.

Harbor FR8 had DVOM's for $4 Last week. AZ $20 on the shelf. Walmart? I dunno. $7 when i bought mine 6yrs ago. They give such a wealth of info.

Same with Radio Shack, $20 for a DMM (digital multi-meter) and a DMM/DVOM/VOM (whatever you want to call it or whatever acronym you want to use) is indispensable for troubleshooting electrical issues. A 12v test light will work in a pinch for starting/charging issues but a meter that can read/display resistance, current, voltage AND check diodes and continuity is really worth it's weight in gold when you need it.

This may help:
th_1993ExplorerChargingSystemSchema-1.jpg

th_1993ExplorerChargingSystemSchematic.jpg

ill giver a try, but the battery seems ok i use it in my DD and its fine there is a broken stud on the relay and it looks a little corroded but ill try the multi meter thanks for the tips:D but if it doesent run soon i dont know what im gunna do :splat:

Hi:

By fender relay are you referring to the solenoid on the fender or the fuse relay? The solenoid has two heavy cables and one smaller cable in the center and is located on the passenger fender.

You can use the solenoid to quick test the starter. NOTE: Make sure tranny is in neutral or park. Using a jumper wire connected to the positive battery cable and touch the starter side of the solenoid. The starter should spin and x should start if battery is good.

Second test is similar. Connect jumper wire to battery side of solenoid and then touch starter side. If the first test worked then this test should also work if cables are good.

Third test is to connect jumper wire to positive battery and then touch solenoid center post. This activates solenoid and starter should spin in solenoid is good.

PaMnd

hey yea sorry i do mean solenoid i keep saying relay lol and ill try that thanks for the advice

Back