Starting issues HELP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ashscott

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Went to start my car, turned the ignition; lights, radio came on but didn't turn over, just made one click sound. I tried to jump start it but still didn't do anything. Would this be a starter issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the passenger side fender is the starter solenoid.. the Issue could be there too or even between the key and the solenoid..

Here's what I'd do...

There is a single small wire on the starter solenoid which is what gets 12v when you turn the key.. Disconnect that little wire and jump 12v from the battery right to the lug on the solenoid. If the motor turns over then the start signal isn't making it from the ignition switch to the solenoid...

If it doesn't turn over the next step is to bypass the solenoid (don't forget to put that little wire back on before you forget)....

Easiest way to do this is to grab your jumper cables and use them to connect 1 side of the solenoid (big wire) to the other side (another big wire). As soon as the 2nd connection is made the starter should start to spin the motor. If it doesn't then the problem is down by the starter..

It's been a while since I've looked at an explorer starter (mine's been working for years) so it's possible my logic might be off.. If so, I'm sure someone will chime in..

~Mark

Maniak is on it. jump the solenooid, if the starter turns: bad solenoid or wiring. if the starter doesn't turn then bad starter.

Old tow truck driver's trick - tap the starter with a wrench and see if it works. Worn brushes will prevent it from starting and tapping the starter (no, don't bang on it) often will re-seat them enough to get one more start. It's gotten me home more than once.

I tapped on it with a hammer...it started! But shut it off and went to restart it and didn't turn again. Looks like a replacement

Super easy to do! That's the good news. Advance Auto has remanned units with a lifetime warrenty. Other parts stores offer similar. Go with the warrenty. It breaks, you get a new one for nothing. Just photocopy that receipt. :p

Great! Glad it worked for you. I suggest you replace the starter relay (the one by the battery) as well. They're cheap and it's had as much use as the starter. Having 2 Gen1's I keep a spare starter and starter relay around, and change them about every 4 years or so as cheap insurance. I used to rebuild them but with the new ones (Internet purchase) as cheap as they are I don't bother any more.
As Wolfie 85 notes, keep the receipt - the stores hope you'll either lose it or sell the vehicle before the starter fails again.

Back