Starting Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting Issues

18theng

Reaction score
City, State
Portland OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1993 explorer sport 4X4. a little while ago it wouldnt start. installed new starter and promptly fried it. second starter fried the wiring from the starter relay to starter solonoid. replaced wire, relay and starter fried starter again. now i have new good starter. also due to other reasons we replaced the key and tumbler and also the ignition switch. when i turn the key there is a click at the relay but the solonoid nor starter fires. both cables going to the starter solonoid test good. also the starter is known good. what is going on???

PS battery is also should also be good

I have only 2 weeks before i deploy and need to get this handled for my parents before i leave for iraq. i know it is douchey to play the army card but they need it fixed asap. brainstorming works as well. any ideas please.

Check your voltages. You should have 12V all the way thru. Break it up and re-check everything to problem solve. Check to make sure there is 12V at the relay, turn the key to the start position. Again make sure you have 12V, then go down the line and at each intersection check to make sure you have 12V. Lastly check the coil voltage of the starter. The way starters work is essentially you have (2) power feeds coming in, one low amperage, one high amperage. The high amp is to actually drive the starter. The low is to fire the coil and connect the high amp to the starter motor. So check every place a wire starts, end, has a connection or anything. You should be able to tell where your problem is from this. If all of these voltages look good your starter is probably bad . . . again, but im willing to bet its a loose connection

Back