Starting problem 94 ranger

WarOzz

Reaction score
City, State
Bonanza, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger XLT 4X4
Hi all,

I have a 1994 ranger 4x4 super cab I have had since new. Last week I started having an intermittent starting problem and I am lost so any ideas would be helpful. The truck is starting 99% of the time perfect, runs without hesitation and has plenty of power. Four times in the last week after starting and driving for a short distance I shut the truck off and it will turn over but not start, I let it sit for a few and all of a sudden it fires right up. Most times within a half hour or less, this last time though I had to let it sit at a friends overnight before it would finally start.

I checked for spark and it's ok so I thought fuel was the issue. I tried swapping the ECC relay for the Fuel pump relay and that did nothing, I then changed fuel filters, problem still not solved. Sitting in the cab I have never heard the wine of the electric fuel pump when I turn on the key so I cannot say if it's coming on or not when it won't start. I have tried the fuel pressure release button at the throttle body and gotten nothing from it. I am leaning towards a fuel pump going out but it has none of the normal signs such as hesitation and lack of power.

Any ideas to keep me from a costly diagnosis and repair at the shop would be much appreciated.

I have tried the fuel pressure release button at the throttle body and gotten nothing from it. I am leaning towards a fuel pump going out but it has none of the normal signs such as hesitation and lack of power.
Which engine, just so we can be more specific in responses?

I would start by inspecting the fuel pump circuit. it's pretty irritating to go to all the effort and expense of replacing the fuel pump to find out that something cheap and simple (like maybe a tripped inertia switch) was the problem. Fuel pump circuit isn't very complicated, Get a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and poke around. Once you determine that the wiring is intact and functioning, then you can replace the fuel pump, knowing that the fuel pump is actually what's wrong.

Back