Electrical work for custom center console | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical work for custom center console

bsgraham98

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
I'm working on a custom center console for my 2015 PIU that offers the look and functionality I would like. I'm handy with wood and metal working, so that is not much of a concern. But I want to run some electrical, specifically a couple of 12v outlets and a power inverter to the 2nd row. I have the upfitter's guide so I know where the power points are behind the instrument panel, but I want to make sure I'm using the existing wiring correctly and won't fry my electronics or set my car on fire.

1. Are there any consumer available harnesses to allow a retrofit? I'd rather not have to cut and splice the existing wires in case I need to remove the console.

2. I want to use the 40 amp connections from the 6 pin connector for the power. Should I add inline fuses between the harness and the device that match the device's max amp draw? Would this be unnecessary? Should I run the ground connections back to the ground pins on the harness, or can I just ground them to other metal in the car? I will run the devices on their own individual connections.

3. I know I will need to relay the connections (I want the 12v outlets to run on the delayed accessory pin [pin 10 on the 14 pin connector, 15 amps] and the power inverter on the run/acc pin [pin 7, 20 amps]) to safely operate the devices and help prevent excessive battery usage. Can I run the power from these pins through the relay and then straight to ground? Will I need any fuses for these connections that trigger the relays? My concern with this question is that in my mind, triggering a relay like this is akin to putting a live wire to ground, shorting the circuit and blowing the fuse or starting a fire.

4. Should I invest the little bit of extra money for diode/resister protected relays to prevent current surging when the relay is turned off?

As you can tell, I'm relatively new to wiring (I kinda wish I made some electrical engineering friends at my university, haha). I want to be sure what I'm planning to do is safe and reasonable for my needs. Any and all advice is appreciated. TIA

2. You’ll need to fuse for the size wiring used. With no fuse, you’ll need a wire that’ll handle the full 40 amps.

3. you’re not going to put a hot to ground.

4. Any real automotive relay will be fine.

2. You’ll need to fuse for the size wiring used. With no fuse, you’ll need a wire that’ll handle the full 40 amps.

3. you’re not going to put a hot to ground.

4. Any real automotive relay will be fine.
2. So if the device only draws 15 amps, i can get away with thinner wire and a 15 amp fuse?
3. Gotcha
4. Sweet

Back