steel brake line - corrosion

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
steel and salt don't mix. Last year I had a power steering tube on the rack rust out and leak, and I replaced the tube.

Now the ABS to rear brake line sprung a corrosion leak just before the left rear hose, and the other lines (especially the axle one) look like they need another wet day to give way. The entire line will have to be replaced, it is totally corroded. Not a bad idea to check yours, they are going to go soon if you have rust. Be ready for 25% of the pedal and double your stopping distance. I don't know what possessed ford to put that spring setup on the lines, they only hold moisture. My T-bird has a nice black covering over all the lines.

At least the braking system is designed to give you some decreased but effective braking if you lose a leg of the system.

Did anyone have the pleasure of replacing the tube thru the frame rail? I'm thinking of using http://www.fedhillusa.com/ - the cunifer flexible tubing. Steel would be hell to bend all those zigzags, and its only going to rust again.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm probably going to replace every last hose in the system while I'm at it, even the rubbers are $10 - $15. It will also save me the trouble of freeing those frozen fittings.

I replaced the across the rear axel line on my 95 a year or so ago. Not too bad of a job. I used steel lines and bent them myself. I suggest you get the caliper screws soaking in some PB Blaster. You don't want to bust them off when you are ready to bleed the system.

Back