Steering issue after body lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering issue after body lift

nitro71

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
I put on a 3" body lift and the steering is pretty crappy now. I'm looking for some fixes. The 91-92? Explorers have a u-joint up top on the steering shaft. I'm wondering if that makes for smoother steering over the rag upper joint on the 93-94? If so is it a direct replacement? I checked out a aerostar while I was at the junk yard and they use two u-joints. I wonder if one of those would fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did your kit come with a steering extension?

The extension is installed but it does nothing to address the new angle you create from the body lift. Was curious what others had done.

I'm gonna let you all know how that stock 91 explorer linkage works in my 93. Maybe next week some time..

i just put a 3" in my 92 xlt and haveing the same issues. but in my directions it said to unbolt the steering colume and there should be 3 locations for holes and to drill out the last set and bolt it in the new holes, which puts the column closer to the driver. i aint tried it but will this weekend and will let you know if it works.

Odd that the PA lift never mentioned that fix. I'll have to check for these holes. Thanks guys!

mines a pa lift and thats were it was in the directions. at the end.

thought the same. the worst was no decal to put on your rig.:thumbdwn:

The damn bumper directions were lacking and the brackets flat out didn't work without some drilling. Some of the bolts for the body were the wrong length also. You'd think it wouldn't be that ####ing hard to put together a kit with the correct pieces.

my bolts all fit but the bumper brackets totaly sucked. i have one bolt holding each side on the front. aint even done the rear.

Were you able to get the front bumper high enough so the bottom holes clear the frame rail? If so you can drill the plate out and get your bolts it. Taking it off would give a cleaner finish but I really don't care as it's outa site. On the rear you can adjust the width of the brackets on the bumper. Use a tape measure. Then you have to grind a groove in the bottom of the bumper so it can slide over the frame rail. Go a little large. Can't see it when you're done. Harbor Freight has a $15 dollar grinder, or they did. Grind down the sharp parts when your done. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

got them both on, not perfect but will do for now. im hopeing to build some custom ones soon. thanks for the advise.

I have a 91 and my steering wheel would bind up with the adapter so i took the steering shaft out and melted the rubber in the shaft and extended it out and welded it. The down side now if i get in a crash the steering wheel could break and shove it into me.

On your 91 do you have the U-joint up top? The 92?-94's have a rag joint on the top. I took a slip joint from a 91 and put it in my 93. Solved all my steering issues with the body lift.

Back