steering issues

roughrider17

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Hey everyone
So my 2002 ST has recently developed an odd thing that i figure i should inquire about
My steering has become weird, when i make left turns it sounds like metal on metal grinding, but only left. However today i noticed some odd sounds coming from the steering as well, such as squeeks and groans and such.
Anyway, im not that well versed in steering components and so if i could get some information on exaclty what kind of steering the ST has, along with what else could be causing these sounds.
Any help, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift the tires off the ground supported with jack stands by the lower control arm forward facing "hooks" and inspect. The first major suspension parts to fail on Explorer's are usually lower ball joints. Other parts to follow are upper ball joints, tie rods, and end links.

When you find out what this is, let me know, I have the same thing going on. I put in upper & lower ball joints in last year and replaced the brake pads & rotors.

Mine only does it when I make a left turn, it is worse when I am turning going down hill. I don't feel it turning right.

took it to a buddy of mine today, he didnt have much time to look at it but he did a quick check of the tie rods and ball joints and everything seems fine on those ends... and Mustang, its pretty much the same gig for me and it screeches at me as well usually when i just start her up and crawl slowly forward and turn just slightly left... I will take it back to my buddy when he has an open lift and an hour to diagnose it

turns out it was my wheel bearing, once my buddy had it out i tried to turn it and it was real tough haha completely shot! he also changed the tie rod ends as well as they were on their way out.
roughrider

Grrr...that was my first thought...off to Rock Auto!

Back