• Register Today It's free!

Steering pop

06xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT V6
I have a 2004 Explorer that has a 2'' & 1.5'' inch BTF coil spacer lift, with 267/75-16 tires.

Recently I have been getting a popping noise while turning the steering wheel.

It only happens when I am at a stop, turn the wheel and then start moving.

I can also feel it in my steering when I move the steering wheel back and for quickly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would say the cv joint is on its way out ... mine does it if im turning and flexing but not enough yet to worry about ... how much clicking and how loud is it?

i would say the cv joint is on its way out ... mine does it if im turning and flexing but not enough yet to worry about ... how much clicking and how loud is it?

I can feel it in the steering which makes me feel like something is binding. It is a distinct hollow pop, not a ticking noise.

My Explorer only has about 85,000 miles. Could a CV really be going out?

Thanks

mine sounds the same .. on the passenger side ... look and see what kind of angles they are at ive got 2.25 up front and i know mine are at crazy angles ... but thats just one of the cons of lifting it :/

Mine does this as well. Iv'e been wondering what it was. Doesn't do it too often tho. I don't have a lift and I have 151k miles on mine. So more than likely, I need to change mine.

Back