Steering Vibration & Steering Rack Noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Vibration & Steering Rack Noise

kam327

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'22 Limited
Since I had some major engine work (head gaskets) done over a month ago I've noticed more road noise-type vibrations coming up through the steering wheel and maybe some in the pedals too. The steering is not noticeably looser necessarily, but it's just more vibration as if something is loose down there.

I complained and they agreed to replace the intermediate steering shaft which they said had a little bit of play in it, but no improvement.

This weekend I lifted it and inspected the suspension - only thing I saw was cracked sway bar bushings. Will be looking to replace those soon.

But also noticed when I move the driver's front wheel back and forth, it'll move the steering shaft with it maybe an 8th of a turn until it comes up against hard stops in the rack, and there's a loud knocking noise inside the rack when I reach those limits. Same thing when the Ex is on the ground (engine off) and I move the steering wheel back and forth (before it locks up) - the front wheels move immediately with the steering wheel, so I know there's not a lot of play in there, but when I move the wheel back and forth vigorously I hear the same loud knocking sound from the rack. My dad's Silverado does not make this sound.

Wondering if a few of you would be kind enough to move your steering wheel back and forth hard, engine off and before the steering wheel locks up, to see if you have the same loud knocking sound. If not, I'd wonder if it's another symptom of something wrong and causing the road noise vibration in the wheel.

Thanks!

Back