Steering wheel hole what the?

richbell66

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer PIU
I just purchased a 2020. It's pretty clean 68K miles and never (seemingly) been in an accident. However this hole in the back of the steering wheel is strange. Any one have a remote idea?
IMG_9739.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone picking away at it.

Get a new wheel or fill the hole with something? Epoxy, foam, silicon something that would drive me crazy
You could get a wheel cover, that would keep your fingers from finding it

I’m also thinking there was a flaw and somebody had to pick at it

Clearly someone shot an arrow through the windshield. ;)

I agree, fill it with epoxy or caulking or whatever, preferably something that's a near color match or use clear epoxy and add a dye or test run some batches with varying amounts of graphite powder to get that shade of gray, though come to think of it, the original JBWeld does seem like it's not too far off from what your picture shows. You could cover the hole with clear packing tape, put a little hole in the tape, inject the epoxy with a syringe. Once the epoxy sets, the packing tape will peel right off, but try not to leave it sitting in the sun on a hot day or some adhesive from the tape may be left behind.

Thanks guys. I thought at first it was a (large) bullet entry hole LOL I just didn't know if some deparments install something on the wheel? I guess my vehicle's officer must have had some really long finger nails :oops::oops:

I appreciate the repair suggestions. Anyway I have a replacement wheel ordered that I found at a good price. Thank you :)

Maybe they bolted on a steering wheel knob? Lol

It looks like the hole goes right through both the bottom and the top of the wheel. Is that correct?

Peter

Back