Steering wheel shakes / bad right wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel shakes / bad right wheel?

J. Kennedy

Reaction score
City, State
Acton, Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
When my right front wheel hits a pothole, the steering wheel shakes violently enough to throw your hands off it. Also, when making a sharp right turn at any speed, violent shaking.

This was not gradual. Yesterday fine, today scary.

No missing wheel weights. Left wheel fine. Regular mechanic has heard of it on Explorers/rangers only, and directs customers to the stealership.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check steering fluid for leaks etc. Then go for the fun stuff :confused: ..Ball joints,Tie rods.....steering rack! What you describe sounds like "bumpsteer" which could be a symptom of bad tie rod ends.. Of course a good alignment wouldnt hurt, a good alignment shop will inspect all the steering and suspension components for wear or failure.

Its the steering rack. #### ford.

Ouch! What did they quote you parts and labor?

$1300 bucks! Pisses me off. The steering rack is $120 rebuilt online, but brakes & shocks is where my comfort zone under a car ends. The Ford part was $500 new, plus they did the PS hoses, plus an alignment. Still, there is no way I would have wanted to do it myself. I was tempted to just trade it in.

My recommendation, cheack ur p/s for air in the lines...

Back