• Register Today It's free!

Stereo Swaps

ThatDudeRay

Reaction score
City, State
Nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Limited
I have a 07 Limited and I wanted to swap out my stock radio with the Led Screen version is it a simple plug and play or are further modifications required

Screenshot_20220423-101623_Amazon Shopping.jpg Screenshot_20220423-101712_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

usually and i cant speakk to 4th gens, but most of the time from normal to screen there are wiring modifications needed, but iirc you can usually purchase a harness through crutchfield of make your own!

Unless you are just tied to an OEM look then it's usually easier to just put an aftermarket radio in.

Unless you are just tied to an OEM look then it's usually easier to just put an aftermarket radio in.
arent there usually wiring differences? at least in the 2nd gen you need jumper harness to interface with some of these newer screens

They make wiring plugs for pretty much everything - I think the company is Metro. You can usually get it cheaper on Amazon. When I put an aftermarket in my Ex I wired the harness to the radio and then just plugged it in. You can get harnesses for the speakers also - I put in new speakers but just plugged them into the existing connectors.
When I did the Taurus, it had steering wheel controls. No problem - Maestro has an adapter for that.
Adding all the harnesses and connectors adds to the price but not by much. And since I still have the original speakers and radios, I can swap the old stuff back in plug and play.

arent there usually wiring differences? at least in the 2nd gen you need jumper harness to interface with some of these newer screens
I have an aftermarket headunit in my 06. No extra wiring required, besides the standard wiring harness, and even that is optional if you don't mind splicing wires and making a rat's nest.

The steering wheel controls did need a separate adapter however.

I have an aftermarket headunit in my 06. No extra wiring required, besides the standard wiring harness, and even that is optional if you don't mind splicing wires and making a rat's nest.

The steering wheel controls did need a separate adapter however.
What adapter did you use

Back