• Register Today It's free!

still over heating problems

WannaXP8

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
well after a 4 wheeling adventure I had alot of mud build up on the radiator, so I cleaned it all off, but then the temp guage started to rise and fall, acting like a bad thermostat, so I went ahead and changed it, and installed a 180, and I test drove it and everything was fine, so I was cool, well then I drove it again today, and it started to overheat again, its not getting to the point where its over heating to where its spuing out antifreeze, but its like getting the the hot level then cooling down then doing it again..over and over..do you think its the waterpump going bad, or do you think its like a bubble in the lines..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Temperature sending switch, possibly? Just a thought. I think it's like 4 bux at the auto parts store. You could also check to make sure the connection is ok.

sounds like a temp. sending unit to me! mine did that for close to a year before I finally tracked down the problem. I replaced just about everything (includeing a new rad.) trying to eliminate that floating gauge! Turns out that the little rubber cap that sits on top the temp. send was not getting a good connection. Try putting some spark grease in the cap. This is common problem with the X...try searching the posts for either ' temperature cycling' or 'floating temp gauge'. Tons of posts out there, with the same problem...all different solutions. Good luck, you could chase this one for awhile...could be a number of things...took me close to a year! As long as it just floats up and down in the [ NORMAL ] and never hits the 'H' ...your good :chug:

so where is the temp sending unit located at? oh ya, I got a 5.0

Um....good question. I have a 4.0, but I've never looked for it. I used to have a Taurus 3.0, and it was located on the intake manifold, toward the front driver's side, I think. It looked like a small, screw-in metal thing...about 1 1/2 inches long with a couple wires in the top. Maybe you could check one out at the auto parts store to see what it looks like. I think some vehicles have them mounted on or near the water pump or down lower on either side of the block. When you unscrew it, you should see coolant on the inside. That may help you identify it.

On the 4.0 it's on the driverside front of the manifold. Looks almost like a spark plug screwed into the side with a rubber cap on top. Don't know on the 5.0 check your Hanes manual.

Back