• Register Today It's free!

stock fog light help

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
I have a 96 xlt with the stock fog lights. the driver side has blown 3 times in the last month. i am using stock wattage. the "filament" is not breaking but the gas inside the bulb explodes the glass. at $6 a bulb it is getting annoying. anyone have any thoughts? I am searching as we speak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any type of condensation in there? I had the same problem. Except I was running the Silver Stars, that was $20/bulb. I just removed the light, brough it in the house, let it dry over night, and siliconed the bulb in it, they siliconed the crap out of the housing. This cleared up most of it. I've found the fogs in the '95-'98s to be a pain. They're in a poor location and not protected from debris thrown by the wheel at all. Not to mention being made out of plastic.

Be sure you are not touching the bulb AT ALL when you put that thing in there. Could be your problem right there. Leave it in the packaging until you are about to put it in and hold it with a napkin/gloves when you put it in and be sure not to touch it, but it on the ground, or get any type of dirty on it. Good luck.

-Drew

Todd hit it dead on! Mine was doing the same thing. I pulled it out and it was loaded with water. I worked the lens cover off, cleaned out the old sealant and put it all back together. I haven't had a problem since. Mine was the drivers side also, and I see an awful lot of X's around here with the same fog light out! :eek:

Joe

Thanks for the responses. i dont think touching it is the problem there is enough black plastic at the base of it to get a hold of. i did replace it once when the weather was crappy. the most recent was a mild dry day. i will look into sealing the actual fog light assembly when i get some time.

Back