• Register Today It's free!

Stock shocks suck...

brent4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 S10 Blazer
I'm from s10forum.com (97 2dr 4x4 w/ mods), but my parents have a 2000 Explorer and can't (or don't want to) figure out how to use bulletin boards.

Their Eddie Bauer 2wd rides really rough. You can feel every bump in the road and speed bumps chip your teeth at any speed. I thought it was the shocks, but my dad seems to think it's the springs. What would be best to replace for a smoother ride? Shocks, springs, or both? I tried the search feature, but I couldn't sift through the lift threads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't have springs, has torsion bars. Shocks would be the first step.

Indeed, if they have more then 15,000 miles on the OEM shocks, start there. For on-road ride-quality, Rancho RSX, Monroe Sensa-Tracs, Bilstein, or KYB would all be good choices.

Keep in mind that, like most other things in the world, you get what you pay for.

Buying new shocks is like buying underwear: Sure, you can buy them three sizes too small, but you probably won't like the way they ride.

-Joe

My ex did the same. Improved quite a bit with new shocks. Five year old factory shocks - 1000% chance that they are shot.

Next on the list for smooth ride is a good set of tires. Light truck tires (LT) have more cords in them, and ride rougher.

I have heard that the best riding tires on Ex's are Michelin cross terrains, but you have to go a little oversize to get really good treadwear ratings (700+)

gijoecam said:
...Buying new shocks is like buying underwear: Sure, you can buy them three sizes too small, but you probably won't like the way they ride.....

Never heard that one before. Thats pretty good. :D :D :D :thumbsup:

How would you know if the factory ones are bad? In the old days they leaked oil (very visible) and the vehicle would bounce pretty easily. Please don't flame me, I have not changed a shock in many, many, many years. :)

I replaced the factory shocks on mine about 6 months ago 70K miles on them. Put on Monroe Sensatracs and WOW what a difference in feel! Also went from a Cooper All terrain tire to a Cooper Highway Tire (HT) and that also changed the ride feel and made it much quieter. I don't do much in the way of off roading, I bought my EX for the cargo room and snow, mainly the cargo room.(I'm a drummer and professional photographer so space was necessary). I'd seriously look at the shocks, it's a fairly inexpensive replacement.

Kona

Put on sensa-tracs, good ride. Tire pressure...

The sensa tracs made a huge difference. But I can't believe how much a few pounds of air pressure either way makes difference with these size tires. I've got michelins and at 28 lbs. too soft and bouncy. At 34 lbs too harsh. Found the right pressure at 32.

Back