stock wires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stock wires?

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
I have a sony xplod headunit which puts out 52wx4. I have Fosgate 6x8s with new wires running from headunit to speakers. It seems there is distortion with bass even when I'm only on 1/2 volume. I know my setup isnt the best, but it should be better than it sounds (sounds great at low levels) Loudness and EQ are all off. Could the problem be not enough current getting to the headunit for the bass? Would it sound any better if I upgrade the stock wiring harness to a 12 guage wire?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no the wire is not your problem

i cant tell u for sure what the problem is..but it might be that u have the bass up to loud?? or something like that

i guess it could be the wireing? but if u think about it i have 12ga wire runing something like 400wattsrms to my sub and it does that just peachy i also have like 14ga or something small like that to my sony explode(free) 6.5s in the front and there is no bass distortion

well i've only got the stock wiring, which is what, like 22ga?

lol 22ga should be fine for the 25rms u are giving the speakers

Ya 22 gauge is plenty. Don't forget that 99% of decks are rated in peak power, so in reality each speaker is getting 10 - 15 watts RMS. I would double check that everything is wired in phase (meaning pos to pos and neg to neg). Also check over your deck and make sure that any enhancement features aren't cranked up. Do you have the premium sound system with the amp in your truck? If you do then that could be your problem right there. If your wire harness that you bought came with two seperate harness then chances are you have the system with the amp. The only way to get around the amp would be to run all new speaker wires to each speaker or bypass the wires at the amp. I hope this helps:)

Your speakers are trying to play freq. they can't handle, get some bass blockers or whatever they are called, or a small 2ch amp with a HPF.

i got a sony xplod h/u(i know their amps + speakers suck, but i really like their headunits). i have a meter and i measured the output (at full power) as 50W RMS. I took out the stock h/u and amp and ran wires straight to the speakers in the door (the fosgates) - they can handle the frequencies fine at low volume, but at high volumes there is tons of distortion. i bench tested the h/u after i totalled the car and it ran fine at full volume, thats why im led to suspect small wire size may be the culprit. if i am running full blast at 200w(50wx4) then this is obviously more than the 22ga is meant to handle.

Originally posted by jgilbs
i got a sony xplod h/u(i know their amps + speakers suck, but i really like their headunits). i have a meter and i measured the output (at full power) as 50W RMS. I took out the stock h/u and amp and ran wires straight to the speakers in the door (the fosgates) - they can handle the frequencies fine at low volume, but at high volumes there is tons of distortion. i bench tested the h/u after i totalled the car and it ran fine at full volume, thats why im led to suspect small wire size may be the culprit. if i am running full blast at 200w(50wx4) then this is obviously more than the 22ga is meant to handle.

Ha, thats very funny if you think your deck puts out 50 watts RMS into each channel. Its absolutly impossible. What meter did you use the test the output? How much AC voltage RMS did you get? How many amps? To get a correct reading you need to use a test tone, so what freq did u use? What formula did you use the determine the 50 watts rms?

PS, i have an Alpine 7894, which puts out more power than your sony deck. I have Infinity 6.5's in my front doors and stock 5x7's in the back. This is all running off my stock 22 gauge wiring and it sounds terrific, even with my deck vol at 75%. So obviously your not doin something right.

Originally posted by 97XplorerSport
Ha, thats very funny if you think your deck puts out 50 watts RMS into each channel. Its absolutly impossible. What meter did you use the test the output? How much AC voltage RMS did you get? How many amps? To get a correct reading you need to use a test tone, so what freq did u use? What formula did you use the determine the 50 watts rms?

PS, i have an Alpine 7894, which puts out more power than your sony deck. I have Infinity 6.5's in my front doors and stock 5x7's in the back. This is all running off my stock 22 gauge wiring and it sounds terrific, even with my deck vol at 75%. So obviously your not doin something right.

Yeah, it ain't putting anywhere near 50wrms out. Do you have the HPF on, on your deck? With my HPF on I could make the stock speakers sing without getting distortion, but if I turned it off or under 80hz they farted pretty bad with the lows.

heres a question do u have loud on? or bass bost..or dynamic bass..or whatever they happened to call it lol

loud shouldnt technicly be neccisisary because if the deck does 40 volume at 30 loud becomes null and sounds the same with it on or off..BUT when u goto turn it down loud will double the volume u are at...not really but i cant explain it any other way..sry if i confused u :(

I agree with the bass being turned up too high, but would also consider checking your wiring to make sure you didn't reverse the polarity of your speakers. IE make sure the + on the amp is connected to the + on the speakers and obviously the - would be correct by default.

Back