• Register Today It's free!

Strange A/C problem

djoverho

Reaction score
City, State
Largo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT 4x4
Hi, I'm new here but am having some trouble with my a/c and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas? I have a 97 XLT 4x4 Explorer, the a/c was having a problem where it would blow cold sometimes but then would just stop and blow what felt like, just vent air. I thought I was just getting low on freon so I took it to Allied and they replaced some parts, flushed the system, and added new freon. Well, after I drove off it would still do the samething...when it blows cold, its really cold but then it will just stop and turn warm. I took it back to the mechanic the next week..he drove it around but it didnt do it to him...they went ahead and rechecked for leaks and added some more freon. He told me if it still kept doing it, the only other thing he could think of was that the evaporator (I think) could maybe be clogged with debris or sludge and they could try cleaning it or replacing it...and it will cost around $450. Does that sound like a cause or could it be anything else? The compressor is fine and there are no leaks that they could find. Thanks in advance for your help and info.

Does the fan still work? or does it just turn warm?

I am curious.. is the compressor cycling on and off? (eg clutch cycling on and off because of the low pressure cutout?) If not you could be freezing your evaporator with your humidity down there effectively rendering it non-passable for air to pass through and cool. Your statement that it was REALLY cold made me wonder.

Back