Strange Clunking near driverside wheel when braking? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange Clunking near driverside wheel when braking?

SlaminFool

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 2WD
Whenever i brake in my 1992 4d 2wd explorer, i hear and feel a clunk, this only happens when i brake. It just goes clunk, and then it feels like i go over a little bump, then nothing else. It happens everytime I brake, going fast or slow. Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might be the radius arm bushings, if they start falling apart the front axle will push back when you hit the brakes. Pretty easy to check visually.

Otherwise it could be the ball joints or something wrong with the brakes, wheel bearings, etc.

Yes, you were right, it is the radius arm bushing :( My uncle, changed the bushings like 7-8 years ago, and instead of going through the trouble of pulling the arm all the way out, he just cut a slot out of the bushing and slipped it onto the arm. When the Ex got in a front end crash, it lost the bushing I guess. There is not one on the front side of the bracket, only the backside. I guess i will just do this again like he did. It is a LOT of work to either get off the rivets, or work the arm out. It has worked on the passenger side so far, and it looks fine on that side. So i'm just going to "Jimmy" Rig it. Jimmy is my uncles name :)

It would be a better idea to drill/cut the rivets and actually replace the bushings, preferably with polyurethane ones.

Rigging something up on such a critical part that holds the axle in place is a grave safety risk.

You'll eventually get to replace the bushings along with the brackets if you rig it, since the bracket holes get damaged from worn or missing bushings.

OH yay, I have my work cut out for me..... I have been trying to narrow down the same issue.

Mine is only at random, but near drivers front.... I know for a fact the bushings are 20 years old.... I STILL HAVE FACTORY SHOCKS :eek: if the wifey plays nice, maybe I can address my worn out suspension parts this year for taxes.

Back