strange idling problem- need help now | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

strange idling problem- need help now

Originally posted by yosh18981898
. Does anyone know where the VPWR wire goes from the Idle air control motor? Does it just go to the positive battery terminal? Where can I get a wiring diagram for a 92 Explorer?

VPWR supplies power to several of the actuators on the engine. It comes from the EEC power relay. It also connects to terminal 37 and 57 on the PCM.

0900823d800ba9d4.gif

This is figure 13 on this page: Engine Schematic 92 Exp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was mistasken about failing test three. I had the two connector wires backwards. The wire I was getting no signal from was the EEC-IV control wire, But once I plugged the harness back in and stuck a pin through the insulation on the EEC-IV control wire I got the correct amount of voltage between the positive battery terminal and the pin. So I passed all the tests. I'm convinced that theres nothing wrong with my IAC, computer, or wiring.
Yesterday me and my friend flushed the radiator. I don't think it has been flushed since it was new, 85000 miles ago. The following story is probably the most hilarious radiator flushing story most of you have ever heard. So my friend gets under the truck and opens the drain valve on the radiator, to our surprise, nothing comes out. My friend (I'll refer to him as Andy from now on) starts sticking a screw driver up the drain valve. Still nothing comes out. By now, we're starting to get frustrated. We decided desparate times call for desparate measures, so we tried hooking the air compressor up to the drain valve, in an attemp to clear it. We pressurized the valve to 60 psi, when this did nothing, we cranked up the pressure on the air compressor. At about 110 psi, we finnaly got a result, the radiator ERUPTED out the filling spout and drain valve. I mean the whole truck was coverd in gummy anti-freeze, rust particles, dirt, and grease. Andy rolls out from under the truck on a creaper, his whole face and upper body covered in the crap from the radiator. I almost passed out I was laughing so hard. It took us about 3 hours to clean the crap from every corner of the garage, a wall 20 feet from the truck was well splattered.
I share the following story because ever since the flushing, my Idle problem has almost disapeared. I dont have any problems when cold and the engine almost works right once warm. I'm going to take it to a mechanic and have them hook it up to the diagnostic computer, it probably just needs a new sensor somewhere. I think it now works better because, before the flushing, the coolant temp. sensor had no liquid to sense, just some rusty sludge. Now that it actually has coolant to sense, it provides a much more accurate signal.
Thanks for all the info, Dogfriend, its nice to know that there are people who are willing to sacrifice their time to help someone for free. The world could use more people like you.

I don't think that flushing procedure is Ford approved, LOL. :D

Glad to hear your running better now.... Another area to check, esp. older Ex's, is the vacuum tree (octopus). Make sure all your lines are connected or caps still secure. And check the lines while your at it cause vacuum leak will cause idle problems, rough running.

Originally posted by dogfriend
The info I posted came from this book. It is a very good reference especially for the 91 - 95 Explorers which use EEC-IV. Unfortunately, the author died so there won't be a follow up book for EEC-V.

Where can I get one of these. I can only find the version that caovers upto 1993.

I have a 95 XLT.

Also, can someone recommend a good inexpensive scan tool?

Thanks

Originally posted by y2kjackal
Where can I get one of these. I can only find the version that caovers upto 1993.

I have a 95 XLT.

Thanks

They still carry this book at Amazon.com Ford Fuel Injection Manual

It is true that it only officially covers to 1993, but the Explorer used EEC-IV thru 95, then went to EEC-V. All of the explanations and troubleshooting advise is still good, even for later models.

Originally posted by y2kjackal
I use a cheap $3 analog voltmeter as a code reader with an old piece of wire (put crimp-on spade connectors on the ends for a few pennies, makes it easier to plug in) to jumper the self-test input to the test connector ground. I doubt you'll find a cheaper code reader

Yes that will work, but only if the CEL light is on AFAIK. Sometimes mine will come on after 2 hours on the highway and go back off again when in the city or the key is switched off and on again. I tried the light method with Engine running and off produced no codes. Yet I know something is stored there.

Also, since it is OBD-I, what is the OBD-II looking interface under the dash by my left knee for? Mine is a 95 Explorer XLT.

Back