Strange noise on cold start - turbo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange noise on cold start - turbo?

asc325is

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT 202A
I’m trying to figure out a noise I get on a cold start up. It comes from the turbo area and sounds like two pieces of metal rubbing, or an what I would think an old valve without lubrication sounds like.

some back story on this, my 2020 xlt started making this noise a few months ago when the temps finally left the triple digits in Houston. It only makes noise on a cold start, and it seems to be related to the throttle and the turbo. When I start the engine after it’s sat for a few hours, the noise comes from the lower exhaust side of the engine. It makes noise for about 20 seconds and then it seems to stop. It seems to be tied to the throttle, if I tap the gas it chirps. It also chirps as the motor revs up and down just a bit at idle.

Here’s the weird thing. If I turn the explorer on and let it sit for about 10 seconds on accessory power I can recreate the noise by pressing the gas pedal. It makes the same noise from the lower exhaust side of the engine for about 20 seconds and then stops. Then if I start the engine it does not make the sound.

so, if someone can assist me in figuring out what the noise is I would appreciate it. The dealer says it normal, but it turns heads in my parking garage.
I originally thought it was related to the AC, like the Freon and oil passing through the orifice changing from low to high pressure or vice versa, but now that I found it makes noise while it isn’t running I feel like I can rule that out.
I’ll get a video in the morning and post it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my ST, it is from the cage surrounding the flex portion of the exhaust. On one side the vibration was so bad that the cage vibrated off. The drivers side is still intact and is the side making the noise. I'll cut it off soon as it serves no purpose and Ford's clamp fix doesn't work long term.

It has indeed long since come and gone. I will take a video when I leave work today
Here’s a link. This is with the engine cold, accessory power on. I’m pushing the accelerator pedal in and it makes this noise. When I start it, you can still hear the noise as the throttle adjusts.

I should add that the sound comes from the vicinity of the turbo. I’m thinking this is the waste gate actuator or something?

Here’s a link. This is with the engine cold, accessory power on. I’m pushing the accelerator pedal in and it makes this noise. When I start it, you can still hear the noise as the throttle adjusts.

I should add that the sound comes from the vicinity of the turbo. I’m thinking this is the waste gate actuator or something?

My 21 explorer makes this noise on cold startup and i only have 10k miles on it. It's been to the dealer 5 times now and they replaced the turbo, yet it still sounds like this on cold start up. Curious what happened in your situation.

Back