Strange noise when turning...help

mezcalwest

Reaction score
City, State
Guadalajara Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hello explorer comunity,
i detected in my explorer 2000 xls 2wd days ago a very strange little "click" noise in the left front wheel when turning steering to the left in a STOP position or parking maneuvers, however when this happen you can't feel anything in the steering wheel just hear the "click'' noise which sounds kind of "hollow" not so loud, ok put it this way... like a very light hit with a hammer to the alloy wheel... could be there anything loose??? however the X drives perfectly no probs at all... any comment suggestion will be very appreciated...
Gracias!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it like a deep popping sound??? I had a popping sound a while ago, but it went away after i tightening up the top a arm bolt.

First thing i'd is check to make sure everything is tight (wheels, A arms, tie rods, shocks, and such). Then inspect for any visable damage to anything.

But the thing with out seeing or hearing or inspecting my self that, sounds like is a lowerball joint to me

Is it like a deep popping sound??? I had a popping sound a while ago, but it went away after i tightening up the top a arm bolt.

Yes is a sound like that...so the top arm!?! i will try that.... gracias

First thing i'd is check to make sure everything is tight (wheels, A arms, tie rods, shocks, and such). Then inspect for any visable damage to anything.

But the thing with out seeing or hearing or inspecting my self that, sounds like is a lowerball joint to me

You mean to replace lowerball joint???

i was thinking as well if could be a bad wheel bearing or a loose break caliper?????,,,
everything looks to be in place...There is no visible damage... and when i have the X lifted NOTHING MOVES!!!! you know what i mean...

You mean to replace lowerball joint???

i was thinking as well if could be a bad wheel bearing or a loose break caliper?????,,,
everything looks to be in place...There is no visible damage... and when i have the X lifted NOTHING MOVES!!!! you know what i mean...

Well you gotta think about all the things that could be making that noise in a stop position. So I would kind of doubt the wheel bearings, possibly a loose break caliper sure. But that’s why I said make sure everything is tight, check all the bolts and eliminate all the easy stuff before spending money and replacing things. I might even say tie rods, even the steering rack. It’s hard to trouble shoot with out being there.
To be straight with you after you check things out thoroughly I’d take it to a suspension shop, pay the $20 have them tell you what it is cause they usually got a pit and have more experience at trouble shooting.

Well you gotta think about all the things that could be making that noise in a stop position.

Got ya Xan! i will get under and tight up every single nut and bolt tomorrow sunday and then make some more tests....before go and get rip off... wish me luck.... talk to you on monday....

Got ya Xan! i will get under and tight up every single nut and bolt tomorrow sunday and then make some more tests....before go and get rip off... wish me luck.... talk to you on monday....

well don't tighten everything more, just make sure its as tight as it should be. some things like ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks (tighten the top for proper preload), and sway bar end links arent suposed to be super tight, thats why they got cotter pins.

Ye i Understand.... keep u updated... hey ,gracias.

Hey what about grease...? if it needs could that be a reason? ...
ur good thanks for ur patience... :)

Ye i Understand.... keep u updated... hey ,gracias.

Hey what about grease...? if it needs could that be a reason? ...
ur good thanks for ur patience... :)

Not saying it wouldn't help anything but this doesn't sound like something grease would help, it sounds like you got slop in your ball joint to me, but anything is worth a try

it sounds like you got slop in your ball joint to me, but anything is worth a try

i am very sorry Xan but my English is not so good... can you please explain what "slop" means....:(... i couldn't lift the x today but i will do asap

Gracias.:)

i am very sorry Xan but my English is not so good... can you please explain what "slop" means....:(... i couldn't lift the x today but i will do asap

Gracias.:)

i supose its not very good english, i mean its out of tolerance or worn out

Back