Strange "whale moaning" type noise from driver's rear area. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange "whale moaning" type noise from driver's rear area.

SCme

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT
Searched but didn't find anything with results.

So I randomly get what sound like just like Dory trying to speak whale. It comes from the driver's rear of the explorer. It's not a whine or grind or rubbing or anything mechanical. It sounds just like air being blown through a tube or horn. I know the only things back there that could make that type of noise is the rear ac or the fuel system, so I'm thinking air in the fuel tank being release maybe but I've never had any other vehicle make this noise before.

Anybody had this issue and been able to determine what the cause is, where it maybe coming from and if there is a fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing I would check is the wheel bearings back there as that’s the most common issue. Sometimes the way the noise resonates through the chassis can make it sound differently

Does it only do it when the AC is on?

First thing I would check is the wheel bearings back there as that’s the most common issue. Sometimes the way the noise resonates through the chassis can make it sound differently
Doesn't have the feel of a wheel bearing failing. In the past, when the vehicle I had did have one to fail, the rear would seem to have a swaying feeling. However, I will put it up on some stands and check it out to rule that out.

Does it only do it when the AC is on?

If talking is the rear hvac on, I'm guessing sometimes it happens when that is turned off. I know it has made this noise in the winter as well, so maybe the defrost was on so the A/C system would be running. During those winter times, I was the only person in the truck, and I don't run the rear hvac when its just me.

It did make this noise yesterday, and the air front/rear was running and I did do a fill up before yesterday's noise.

OK - sometimes sounds are hard to describe so I thought you might have my problem. When I'm running the air, I'll get a whoop from the rear. It sounds exactly like a cop is behind me and is giving me a short siren blast to get my attention.

So I randomly get what sound like just like Dory trying to speak whale. It comes from the driver's rear of the explorer. It's not a whine or grind or rubbing or anything mechanical. It sounds just like air being blown through a tube or horn. I know the only things back there that could make that type of noise is the rear ac or the fuel system, so I'm thinking air in the fuel tank being release maybe but I've never had any other vehicle make this noise before.

Anybody had this issue and been able to determine what the cause is, where it maybe coming from and if there is a fix?
Yes, my 2014 Ford Fusion is doing the same.

I am having this issue with my 2014 Ford Fusion. I have been unable to find what it is. Mechanic didn’t know either. If you find out I would sure appreciate you letting me know. Hello from Texas!

When you fill the tank do you quit when the auto shutoff kicks in? People have had trouble with their evap system by trying to get every last ounce of fuel into the tank, causing it to overflow and put raw gas where it shouldn't be. The sound could be emanating from the passenger side but sounding like it's coming from the driver's side.

OK - sometimes sounds are hard to describe so I thought you might have my problem. When I'm running the air, I'll get a whoop from the rear. It sounds exactly like a cop is behind me and is giving me a short siren blast to get my attention.
I'll reiterate that I've maybe had this problem for years now - only when I run the air conditioner I will occasionally get a 'whoop' sound from the rear of the EX - as I said before - it's like a cop pulled up behind me and hit the siren for just a second. First time it happened I looked in the rear view expecting to see a cop.
Did some research on line and several people had it on many different makes and some fixed it by replacing the expansion valve in the air conditioner system.
I've never pursued it because I rarely use my air so it really doesn't matter that much to me since it happens so seldom.
Do a Google search on 'whoop sound from air conditioner' and see if it lines up with your problem.

Back