Stripping an Aerostar to get an Explorer going. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stripping an Aerostar to get an Explorer going.

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
Hi
I have been reading post after post here since December, I am now ready to wade into the fun and start posting...oh yeah and maybe introduce myself!
I am a Canadian born US citizen living in Canada but have lived in both countries and served in the US Navy in the early 2000's.
I have owned 2 Aerostars, the first a 92 XL swb with 3.0L and no options. It did just fine for the $700 I paid for it and then I hit a 3000 lb bull with it. I used the $1500 I got from the insurance payout (the adjuster really helped me out), to buy a 94 XLT with e4wd. It served me faithfully for 2 years, I loved that van it was perfect for my family. It started missing bad from the #3 cyl and I never could troubleshoot the problem correctly. I ended up pulling the motor (which is quite a job in itself), and then stopped short of rebuilding the motor after looking at the cost of parts and machine work. So for the past 8 months I have had the van sitting in the garage with no motor in it.
Then about a month ago I was driving past a co-workers house and noticed a 92 Explorer XLT for sale. I inquired and found out it recently had a new motor put in before the tranny died. He wanted $1000 but I got him down to $500, so now I just have to get it here (30 miles away). In the mean time I am pulling all the parts I can off of the van I can that are useful in the Ex. I already have the trans out and on the table, waiting for parts. I am gonna replace the front seal and rebuild the valve body using the Transgo and Superior shift kits plus a Sonnax large ratio boost valve. Once I get that done I will take the bad A4LD from the Ex and start a rebuild. I am not sure if it will be a frankentranny or just upgraded parts similar to Glacier's "bulletproof" build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow nice find on a 92 with a new motor for $500!
But welcome to the site! Im addicted on here for sure! Lol, I can sit and read a whole thread if im interested, even if it has nothing todo with anything im doing haha

Hows canada? I went on vacation on my friends yacht with him about 3 summers ago, and it was so beautiful up there!

dear mod
This was intended to be my introduction to the site...it ended up in the aerostar forum.

Thanks
Brian

I've moved your thread into the Aerostar section. Do you want me to move it back into the new members forum? How did you pull the motor? Did you raise the frame, and drop it, or remove the front support, and pull it out from the front? Be sure to read the sticky threads as well as other threads in this section. You could use many parts from both Aerostar vans on your Explorer.

I removed the front support and went out the front with it.
I use rockauto as my cross reference for lots of the parts I think are interchangeable.

Welcome Brian,

...and thank you for your service! :salute:

Wow nice find on a 92 with a new motor for $500!
But welcome to the site! Im addicted on here for sure! Lol, I can sit and read a whole thread if im interested, even if it has nothing todo with anything im doing haha

Hows canada? I went on vacation on my friends yacht with him about 3 summers ago, and it was so beautiful up there!

Yeah I spent lots of night shifts reading posts, just to learn more.

Does anyone know a site where I can buy a timing chain cover for a 3.0 L aerostar, I live in Mexico and can't find that part.

I am not too sure about your location, but I would try a Ford dealer to start.

Contact a vendor on this site. You might be able to get it used if it's not available as a new part. KBabiak is very nice to deal with, and might have one for you. You could post a parts wanted ad in the classified section of this site. There is a sticky thread on the top of this section for posting Aerostar only parts requests. The Ford Ranger has a 3.0L engine as another option to get this part from.

Back