I'd like to get my dad an Aerostar, but which one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'd like to get my dad an Aerostar, but which one?

xFatcatx

Reaction score
City, State
PORTLAND OREGON
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SPORT
So we always had Aerostars growing up, my parents were a big fan of them and my dad was always quite proud to own them. Anyways, my dad will be in town with me in the future and need a vehicle. I would like to buy him a cheap Aerostar off craigslist and do some repairs and tune ups as needed and have it ready for him a few months from now.

So, what should I look for. There are many different models and years on cl in all different price ranges and i just dont know where to start. I usually research and decide on engine/trans for whatever i am buying and then go with options from there. This should be much simpler though and i am going for cheap here.

My dad is not picky, as long as it has heat and windshield wipers were good there. We had a panel base model for a while when i was real little so that would probably work. I remember i used to sit on a milk crate in the middle of the driver and passenger seats:) I see quite a few different engines, 3.0, 4.0, smaller i think than that to. I guess i would just like some info on the probably the most reliable engine/trans models/years etc. Im sure you guys know what would be best for what im looking for. Prefferred auto but manual trans would be ok.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.0L is the OHV design like the one in the Explorer. A lot of Rangers have a 3.0L, and it has plenty of power. What options are you looking for? Do you need the extended model or the standard lenght? Will it be used for daily driving, work, towing, etc?

Have a 4.0 auto with electric 4x4, , it has an upscale kind of interior, i like it alot, and it goes through snow very well if that is an issue,
Maybe if that interests your Dad look at one of them too ,

The 4.0L is the OHV design like the one in the Explorer. A lot of Rangers have a 3.0L, and it has plenty of power. What options are you looking for? Do you need the extended model or the standard lenght? Will it be used for daily driving, work, towing, etc?

Extended or standard length wouldnt matter. Probably lots of long distance trips, very very little towing if any. I have the 4.0 SOHC in our 99 ex sport. Is there much mpg difference in the 3.0 and 4.0? Guess im mostly looking for reliability. Year and interior/fancy options do not matter.

Have a 4.0 auto with electric 4x4, , it has an upscale kind of interior, i like it alot, and it goes through snow very well if that is an issue,
Maybe if that interests your Dad look at one of them too ,

Snow may be an issue, not to sure about that part yet though. Thanks

I had a 92 short wheel base XL with a 3.0L. I feel that it was under powered with more than 2 people in it. After I got my 95 e4WD XLT 4.0L, I was much happier with the performance and overall package.
If I were to get another one I would get a 97, from what I have read they were all XLT's (see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218341) and came with the 5R55E trans along with unique tail lights.
E4WD is awesome but I got around in some pretty bad winters with the 92 2wd.

Extended or standard length wouldnt matter. Probably lots of long distance trips, very very little towing if any. I have the 4.0 SOHC in our 99 ex sport. Is there much mpg difference in the 3.0 and 4.0? Guess im mostly looking for reliability. Year and interior/fancy options do not matter.

Snow may be an issue, not to sure about that part yet though. Thanks
Best Aerostar is 1996 with 4.0l next best is 1996 with 3.0l, the 3.0 can be in shorty van. AWD comes with 4.0l only.
Mileage is about 2-4 mpg better with 3 liter, AWD takes another 2-4 mpg. I have one and I get teens all the time, highway or city it is teens for mpg.

When I had a 2 wheel drive 4.0l I would get 22 mpg on the freeway, now I am lucky to see 18mpg on the freeway. Using synthetic oil and Iridium plugs.

Best Aerostar is 1996 with 4.0l next best is 1996 with 3.0l, the 3.0 can be in shorty van. AWD comes with 4.0l only.
Mileage is about 2-4 mpg better with 3 liter, AWD takes another 2-4 mpg. I have one and I get teens all the time, highway or city it is teens for mpg.

When I had a 2 wheel drive 4.0l I would get 22 mpg on the freeway, now I am lucky to see 18mpg on the freeway. Using synthetic oil and Iridium plugs.
welcome!

Back