Strut Replacement and Lowering

ShanehSMP

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS 2WD
Hey guys,

I just had my struts and springs replaced on my 03 XLS. I purchased the Canuck Motorsport lowering springs (1.5in drop) and KYB GR-2 Struts. I had my mechanic do the work for me; finally got the car back and Noticed absolutely ZERO drop. I'm wondering what the cause of this could be - I've seen another Explorer here on ground force springs and his drop was night and day.

Do you think that the screw on the top of the strut wasn't completely tightened? could this be making it sit like stock? I've just paid 600$ for parts and labor and I'm pretty pissed to say the least.

thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you have two choices. 1. Drive it to see if the springs settle, or 2. get the Ground Force springs. Even if the nut on the top of the strut was loose it will not effect the ride height at all.

Were the heights actually measured before and after?

Did you verify that your mechanic actually put the springs in?

Did you verify that your mechanic actually put the springs in?

LOL....yes, the bright red springs are an indication...

the fronts have definitely gone down...but the rear is is just sitting high as hell....I wish I had a before pic...actually, let me check....

Here she is when I first got her:
14y0gog.jpg

Here she sits now:

x2nz9l.jpg

I measured about 33inches from the ground to the uppermost part of the outer-side of the wheel well.

Can anyone tell me what their cars measure?

to tell you the truth it does look a little lower in the front. or it could just be the angle....

to tell you the truth it does look a little lower in the front. or it could just be the angle....

It definitely is lower in the front....its the rear that I'm having an issue with...

What are the size of your tires?

Mine are 275/45/20's which are about 29.74 inchs tall. Measuring from the ground to the highest spot on the rear fender, I've got 34" on the drivers side and 33.5" on the passenger side. The front drivers side is 33.25" and the passenger's side is 33.125".

What are the size of your tires?

Mine are 275/45/20's which are about 29.74 inchs tall. Measuring from the ground to the highest spot on the rear fender, I've got 34" on the drivers side and 33.5" on the passenger side. The front drivers side is 33.25" and the passenger's side is 33.125".

My tires are 235/70/16 just less than 29"diameter (actually 28" due to under-inflation)....my exact measurement from ground to fender is 33 1/2" ....

so basically I have about 5.5 inches in gap and you have a 4.25 inch gap....however, your car is level

I've already filed a complaint with ebay asking for my money back - I wish i had done some more research on these springs as it seems that one other person on this forum had the same issue as well as some people that bought other springs on ebay....

Anyone know where I can get Ground Force springs for a decent price?

What was the part number for the springs you have? It looks like they call out different part numbers between the 3rd gen Explorer and Mountaineer, 3036.54182 vs. 3105.54161.

You can get the Ground Force springs from Explorer Express for $270, plus shipping:
http://www.explorerexpress.com/springs-0205-explorer-ground-force-lowering-springs-p-191.html
Google shows this as the cheapest option at $240:
http://www.autopartsdealer.com/grou...cse&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=APD57094

Yea, I noticed that as well...the mountaineer springs are spec'd at 1.4" in front and 1.1" in rear....makes no sense to me. Either way, I didn't even get 3/4 of a drop. And I don't think this company is legit enough to place the part number on their springs.

well good luck bro

doesnt matter all the kits make it like that. i have ground force springs and mine might be a little lower but thats how it sits, a little higher in the back.

Waht ever happened with this install? did they settle?

I ask because I am about to install the same set.

Back