STS Turbo 98' 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport pics and tune.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STS Turbo 98' 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport pics and tune....

Doug904

Sponsor
Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Roush GT
Hey guys,

I've got a local customer who's just completed his new STS turbo system on his Explorer. It was a completely custom kit, everything was made custom except for the turbo. He came over tonight and where as I don't have the time just yet to goto a full dyno tune with him we got it running safe and with a great power. We'll be going to the dyno very soon.

After a test drive with him on the 2-3 lbs we got everything set and running right. It pulled good, more so like a mild V8 without any punchy power band. It was nice but we wanted more.

Next he went to the back and adjusted his wastegate controller and raised the boost to 6-7lbs and WOW! This thing flat out HAULS BUTT! I just kept saying " Wow, all of this in an Explorer too" hhahaa.

I kept putting the tuning to it until we finally had to stop, we were starting to get knock sensor activation of just a few degree's, 1-2 degree's. I backed it down a few and told him that'll we do the rest of the tuning on the dyno where we can ensure a proper a/f ratio. We've already been one time when he was n/a and tuned the Explorer for use with his 76mm C&L meter.

His list of mods include...

Custom STS turbo put together by www.GraceMotorsports.com in B'ham
76mm C&L meter
30lbs injectors from Explorer Express
Bamachips X-calibrator Tuner

I'm not exactly sure what size the turbo is, I think he said something like 63/58 ?? I don't care what size it is, just how much airflow it makes.

He doesn't have any pics of the way it routes so for now I'll tell you. The turbo sits where the spare tire was, then the piping comes foward along with passenger's side and then up above the tire and through the wheelwell to the MAF and then the TB. He used the MAF in a blow-through design and made sure it had plenty of straight piping both in front and behind it.

Here's some photo's to tease you with :)

STS Turbo #1

STS Turbo #2

STS Turbo #3

STS Turbo #4

STS Turbo #5

STS Turbo #6

This should get real interesting as he also has a Snow Performance boost cooler and we plan on making a 93 race tune for the track using 10psi and the water injection on the dyno.

Later Doug904.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Holy crap that is awesome! Any lag? That's a LONG pipe. What'd it cost him?

That's awesome. I'm curious on the cost too.

huskyfan23 said:
Holy crap that is awesome! Any lag? That's a LONG pipe. What'd it cost him?

Not really any lag but it's still a turbo. You'll just have to see the dyno sheets to see what I mean about it. It's by far one of the coolest Explorer's I've ridden in.

As for cost I dont know, I would recommend contacting the STS dealer in the post for that. For tuning he's paying a decent amount but he's having it dyno tuned and it does require a bit more since it's not a normal setup.

Thanks, Doug.

doug

do you got any sound clips of his the explorer with the turbo

I bet me and other people would love to hear how it sounds

That looks awsome!! Are water problems common with the remote mount turbos like that?

That is a insane setup. ive seen alot of turbo cars, but having the turbo under the car? thats is new to me. i want a ride!!!

man makes me want to put my damm supercharger in already!

techieman33 said:
I'd be worried about the rain, and just general driving, the filter hase to get dirty super fast down there.

That's what I was thinking. I'd still like to drive it. ;)

I was just reading this site: http://www.ststurbo.com/f_a_q trying to find out about the rain ? everyone was asking. Here's their response:

"No, even under very wet conditions the filter sheds most all water. Every kit includes an Outerwears Dry Charger which is a "sock" that protects the filter under very dusty or wet conditions. The only thing you don't want to do is completely submerge the filter. This would draw water through the filter and into the intake tubing. For most vehicles that would mean you would have water coming in your doors before you'd have a problem with the turbo's air filter."

They featured the STS turbo kits on Trucks today. I guess all of them on newer trucks are in the back.

I meet the owner and saw this car when Doug dyno tuned my Explorer. Of course, he didn't have the turbo then.

A real nice guy and I wish him the best.

Hello Guys,
A new one to this website. Just wanted to say hello and let you guys know that I am the owner of the '98 turboed explorer Doug is talking about.I will be watching this thread for any new posts. Thanks for your interest in my project.

Welcome to the site. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the turbo with everything? My find is thinking of going with a custom turbo, and was curious to know a price on that. Thanks, Bryan :)

From STS site it looks like about $4000 for the ones they list (not explorers). Thats about the same as the EE X-charger kit which Doug does the tuning for. I am just wondering what the benefits and drawbacks of each system are.

Anyway, jah81592, Welcome to the site. That is a swet looking ride.

Talked with Dave V last week about the S.C. Still waiting for CARB cert:(
They did some runs a couple mos ago and he said they got about 75 RWHP over OEM.
Will be interesting to see the Turbo numbers (great looking install by the way)
also if anybody was interested, powerdyne will not be coming out with the S.C. for the SOHC V6, cost is far to high.

Guys it really depends on whether or not you have a basic kit or options such as I did. The kit which is only the wiring harness turbo and scavage pump will run you around $3600.00 roughly (talk to a STS dealer about pricing) but that is it. The kit is universal and there is not any direct connections such as from the exhaust or any compressed piping whatsoever with a universal kit. Injectors,tuning,various odds and ends are not included. So to answer your question of how much........ Remember this, I did ALL the custom mods, engineering installation and such! I was on my own no-one else has tackled this type of install on an Explorer yet. These were my location ideas other than the remote mounting concept of the turbo which I built on. I have somewhere in the ball park of $6000.00. Other expenses are 76mm maf,70mm t\b, jba headers, mac catback, excalibrator....etc (which are not included in any of that price. The install is lengthy, Roughly 50+ hours so there must be a dedication to the project. I am not trying to be dicouraging just honest. There were many late night (2-3 AM) and many days my wife and 18 mnth old daughter did not get to see me because of the high level of dedication to the project. For that I owe them the most thanks. Other thanks go to Kevin Lucus, Doug Studdard, Steven Drake and any others I can't remember at this moment.

Doug now has a complete list of my mods which he will post soon and the finished pics. Later!

Wow, that's more than I expected, but then again it is completely custom. Glad your happy with your purchase...can't wait for some dyno results. :D :thumbsup:
Oh and by the way, you have one really nice truck. It all looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully nobody gets under your X and saws off the turbo :p

Back