stumble on hot restart | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stumble on hot restart

zavetsky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
From time to time, I have a rough idle after retsrating hot.....For instance...I drive about 10 miles, park it, come back in 10-15 minutes and when I start her up she stumbles and ALMOST feels like a miss.....After letting it idle or just driving for a bout 30seconds or so it clears up....

It doesnt always do this, so I have mostly let it go...

Any thoughts??

DZ

Probably fuel leak down

which causes a bubble to form in the fuel rail. You should be able to hold 20# pressure in the fuel rail for a half hour. Likely the result of leaking FPR or injector. If you don't have access to a pressure gauge, try turning on the key for a few seconds three times. This will allow the pump to flush out the bubble.

Re: Probably fuel leak down

Thanks for the reply.....I do have a fuel pressure gauge....I guess I will check the pressure as you state......thing is, it doesnt always happen...maybe it IS a leaky injector that is sticking sometimes????

Seems like a FPR would be constant....maybe not....

If it turns out that my pressure is dropping, what is the best way to check the FPR?

Originally posted by Opera House
which causes a bubble to form in the fuel rail. You should be able to hold 20# pressure in the fuel rail for a half hour. Likely the result of leaking FPR or injector. If you don't have access to a pressure gauge, try turning on the key for a few seconds three times. This will allow the pump to flush out the bubble.

No way to check FPR

Mine was very intermitant. The engine would even stall on fast right turns. Every day the engine would almost die on the same exit. I monitored the fuel pump current and everytime the current would drop just before the engine would die. Never really knew what the problem was till I cut open the the old regulator. Found a bevel worn on one side caused by the non centered spring. Sometimes it would slide over and stick open.

Back