Stupid heat shield... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stupid heat shield...

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
So somewhere on the highway I lost the heat shield that goes on the bend / pre-cat pipe and the oil pan. Am I asking for trouble if I don't fab one up to replace it?

Yes, I know they put it there for a reason... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't think it should be trouble,

the air gap does the same thing,

and for the amount you drive it,, don't think so,

, as it is there for a reason after all,

:D:D:D:D

If you aren't idling for long periods like heavy traffic I doubt would make much difference in the heat exposure to the engine.

Might want to avoid parking in grassy fields or in the woods with lots of leaf litter after a long drive though ;-)

I don't think the grass would be an issue, as the shield is above the pipe, between the pipe and the oil pan. Just wasn't sure if the concentrated heat by the oil pan would be an issue. I think I'll play it this way- I'll drive home. On the way in to work tomorrow, I'll watch the side of the road. If I see a heat shield, I'll tack it on. If not, screw it. :D

And Pete- I've put 2,100 miles on it in the last 3 weeks! :p :D

nice,, i saw you towed the boat with it,,

I've been driving without that heat shield since I got mine, but, the guy who owned the truck before me cut the cats off, so it doesn't get quite as hot. (yes, I am replacing the cats as soon as I can get around to buying cats, headers and exhaust.)

I was up there, but we didn't start the fire... :D

Dirt? I have an almost 8 year old- I don't clean anymore. There are more rice krispies on the floor of my truck than there are in the box. ;)

Maybe I'll vac when I wash it next month.

Good thing I have connections at the Rockford MSP post then... :shifty_ey

Bet you'll get one tacked back on anyways Joe. You know it's going to bug you until you do.

You know it will Joe, you know it will...

:D

Dude hit it on the head:

Yes you KNOW it will!!!!!!!!!!

Dude hit it on the head:

Yes you KNOW it will!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly! Who else would have been up looking around under the truck and noticed the missing shield in the first place.

Nah- didn't look for it, it shot out from under the truck on the highway after rattling for 8 months. Yeah- see? I didn't even care about a rattling heat shield for 8 months! I'm losing it... :)

Didn't notice anything on the highway on the way into work this morning, so no more shield, oil pan be damned! :D

Again, Dude knows Dirt, and Dirt doesnt like.... well, dirt!! Im guessing he has already checked Ford Parts online and LMC truck to see how much a new heat shield is!!

They say OCD can never be cured, just helped....

Nope, haven't checked LMC, or contacted Torrie. Drove the Ex in this morning, with a beverage sitting in a spilled-into sticky cupholder, with stuff covering my passenger seat, stuff on the floor, on the back seat, and a loaded cargo compartment killing fuel economy even though I don't need anything in there. I might care this summer, we'll see... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitly not the Joe Dirt we know!

Back