Sub Firing Direction

BTRs X

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Maysville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer XL 4x4
I have seen the rear-firing sub in several explorers, but havent heard anyone remark on the SQ and SPL. I am planning on placing my 12" sub box against the back of my rear seat directly in the middle of the seat. I then plan on firing my Alumapro Alchemy 12" at the back glass (slanted box) not straight at the rear gate panel (flat box). Can anyone tell me what their thoughts are on this setup? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My box is rear facing but with a slanted face. I have one 12" JL 12w6. I have great SQ and pretty damn good SPL.

SSIKORA, I have the same Kicker ZR240 amp and I just got rid of (2) JL Audio 10W6s.......I hope the ALumapro doesnt let me down

i've done the same things with every incarnation of my system. it has worked well. however, the rattle from the rear of the car cannot be avoided unless you sound deaden everything. twice. our hatches rattle like mo fos

Thats for damn sure...but mine does only on the outside....I can't hear it over my speaker in the inside.

in certain songs when the bass goes in and out the rattle is residual and hangs over after the bass. but in general the same holds true for me. I've also found that if you get the bass louder it will start to sound better outside of the car as well. you CAN make it loud enough outside the car to overcome the rattles with a little work and some big amps.

Im all about sounddeadning.......my friend and I installed 3 JL Audio 15W6s in the back glass of his toyota pickup and we disassembled the truck and coated everything. Im going to start pulling everything out of my X this weekend......how did you sounddeaden everything?.......I was thinking about a material like dynamat on the inside metal and undercoating spray on the back of all my panels.

Let us know how it goes... I need to do that when it gets warm again.

Deading

I used Pro-Con For my sounddeading in my X. I lined all my doors, backgate and Rear Quarter Panels. I run two JL 12" W3 any i have no rattles what so ever. I am moving up from PPI to Zapco Amplifiers and from JL to Image Dynamics IDMAX subs. You should check them out. Amazing SQ as well as SPL.

Back