Sub Frame bolts broken, missing transmission bolt - Pictures included | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub Frame bolts broken, missing transmission bolt - Pictures included

jahna

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
Hi Guys- This morning I replaced the fuel filter, did plugs and wires. While under the X I noticed 2 broken sub frame bolts, one broke on each side. This is the cross member of the sub frame, it bolts to the 2 main frame beams. The cross beam runs under and supports the transmission and front end of the gas tank. I'm assuming that these bolts have been sheared off for some time. When I bought the explorer (at 100k, now 120k) it was completely missing sway bar links on both sides in the front. I wonder if the body roll helped shear these off.

What should I do here? I could just have it welded to the frame but I would think that this approach could be problematic if the tranny or gas tank needs replacement. Other option is to have a show drill and tap a new hole. Anyone know what I should expect to pay for a service like this? Any other ideas are appreciated.
232323232%7Ffp538%3B3%3Enu%3D53%3B8%3E335%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C2926%3B85347nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp53835%3Enu%3D53%3B8%3E335%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C2926%3B87347nu0mrj

I also tried finding the source of a slow transmission fluid leak and found a missing transmission pan bolt. Does anyone know where I could source one of these bolts? I should probably just try the stealership.
232323232%7Ffp538%3A9%3Enu%3D53%3B8%3E335%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D32%3C2926%3B97347nu0mrj

Thanks-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes drill and tap the two broken bolts, as for the missing trans pan bolt take one out ( farthest from the one already out ) and pickup more from parts store may want to service the tranny while you are under there

from the looks of the other bolt it looks like the trans was dropped or something. . ..
drill and tap would work but another trick is to have someone 'blow' out the remaing stud with a torch. . .
There should be a welded nut on the back so be careful. Find replacement bolts at junkyard if one is close buy or the dealer can tell you which size, might be a little expensive but at least it will be the right type and length.

Thanks for the info, i think I will take it to my normal indy mechanic to have it drilled/tapped. Does anyone know what a normal charge would be for this?

Thanks,

Imagine it would be their time based on their hourly rate. A small shop may just even charge is simple flat fee. In CA in my area the shop rate is $120.00/hr. I suspect it may be quite a bit lower in WI. If you need any other parts for your explorer go to wrecking yard and explore and while you are there see if you are able to pick the bolts you need. Or stop by a trans shop and bring them one of your other trans bolt as sample and ask if they happen to have on laying around. Most shops are pretty cool about this.

i had the same problem with mine, i jus welded it were the bolt was. If the transmission ever needs to be dropped all you need to do is grind off the weld. 2 minut fix

So is this somewhat common problem?

Thanks for the replies.

Back