• Register Today It's free!

sucked up water in intake

kj4kym

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT Control Trac 4WD
went offroading and i sucked up a ton of water through the intake. died on the spot had to be pulled from the mudhole. tried starting and all it does is click.. took off air hose and it looks like you dumped out a bucket full of water.. also if i look back in the intake manifold i can see water standing.. what can i do?? my daily driver is dead in a parking lot and its already below freezing tonight.. oh and the motor wont turn over at all. pretty sure its water locked

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull ALL the spark plugs and turn the engine over by hand. After you get it running again, use some common sense about where you are driving. Explorers are not boats.

Change the engine oil, before you move it, or try to start it.

Likely it is toast.

As suggested, remove the spark plugs and turn it over by hand until water stops running out of it. Then, spin it over on the starter without the plugs in it. Then change the oil, then put new plugs in it and good luck or bonne chance as the french would say... usually rods get bent by hydraulic-ing and the engine needs some TLC (or a replacement). Let us know how you make out.

Don't for get to change the transmission, transfer case, front axle and rear axle lubricants as well.

Back