• Register Today It's free!

Sudden Coolant Loss

dlittle1116

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
I have a 2006 Explorer 4x4 and was driving to work when I made a pass of a slow moving vehicle, but the explorer kicked in to passing gear and just a few seconds later, I noticed smoke from my rear view mirror. I made it to work with no loss of power, but the temp gauge was moving from hot to cold and the overheating light would come on and off. When I got to work, I popped the hood and there was coolant all over the top of the engine. When it cooled down I checked the radiator for coolant levels and it seemed bone dry (the reservoir was dry as well). I added water to the radiator the next day, and noticed water was leaking from somewhere under the alternator. I checked the oil and there was no "milkshake" look to it. Could this be a faulty water pump seal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Rent a coolant pressure test kit from most auto parts stores with a fully refundable deposit.
The tester will immediately pinpoint your leak(s) without guessing. Call stores for availability. GL

I think it may be one of 4 bolts that attach the compressor. It appears to thread into a boss to the lower side of the front of the cylinder head rather than a water jacket area but it is hard to tell.

I have diagrams of the front cover area and cylinder head area that I can send you in pdf form if you want. Just need your e-mail. PM me if you wish.

Back