• Register Today It's free!

Sudden crank no-start last night

Centaurious

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Sport
I drove half a block to help a neighbor last night and tried to drive home... crank but no start. 1/3+ tank of gas, good battery, no previous problems for over a year.
This morning I bridged the test connector and checked the codes. 111, 111, 111. All good. Had my brother listen at the tank and the fuel pump primed. Tried starting and it did but sluggish to rev up and settle at idle. Drove back home and after idling in the yard for about a minute it died. Back to no start. My brother suggested the fuel gauge may have gone bad and we added 5 gallons of fuel. Fuel gauge showed the added fuel. Fuel pump primed and it started like normal. Drove to the gas station and filled up taking 6 more gallons thus the tank did have between 1/3 and 1/2 tank.

It has started like normal and I can't test for a problem that is not present. :(
I'm pretty sure the fuel pump can fail with out throwing a code. What else will not throw a code? Ignition module?

Yes the fuel pump fails without throwing a code. That could very well be the problem as it sounds like it wasn't getting enough fuel.

After much head scratching, fuel pressure tests, etc I have replaced the Fuel Pump Relay and the ECC Relay. Inspecting the inside of those relays showed one had a cracked internal base and a bent contact allowing the moving contact to travel further away from the coil than designed. This may have lead to the intermittent fuel pump pressure. Almost all times tested (50 tests) full pressure during prime cycle, once only 10 pounds and a weak sound, and once nothing. The pump delivers 38 psi vacuum disconnected and 48 psi connected. leakdown took over 20 minutes.

Time will tell if this was the problem, now it's just a waiting game.

After much head scratching, fuel pressure tests, etc I have replaced the Fuel Pump Relay and the ECC Relay. Inspecting the inside of those relays showed one had a cracked internal base and a bent contact allowing the moving contact to travel further away from the coil than designed. This may have lead to the intermittent fuel pump pressure. Almost all times tested (50 tests) full pressure during prime cycle, once only 10 pounds and a weak sound, and once nothing. The pump delivers 38 psi vacuum disconnected and 48 psi connected. leakdown took over 20 minutes.

Time will tell if this was the problem, now it's just a waiting game.
At least you did find a damaged part. Sounds like you probably fixed it. Good find.

Back