Suddenly My Explorer Won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suddenly My Explorer Won't Start

Webslinger

Reaction score
I own a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 2-wheel drive. As of this morning, she won't start.
Battery seems fine - visually looks good, is clean and securely connected to cables. When I turn the key to the 'on' position, all interior lights come on strong as does the door ajar warning, etc.
So, when I turn the ignition key all I get is a loud and repetitive click, click, click. That's it. The engine does not turn over. Only the clicking.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing happened to my 94 a couple weeks ago. Have you tryed an jump it?
Mine it was the first time it had gotten real cold and the battery was dying later in the afternoon when it warmed up it fired right up.

Same thing happened to my 94 a couple weeks ago. Have you tryed an jump it?
Mine it was the first time it had gotten real cold and the battery was dying later in the afternoon when it warmed up it fired right up.

Yes, I've tried to start it this afternoon as well. Temperature is 70 degrees. Also tried to jump start it and no go. Battery still seems strong. Would have thought with the jump start it would have fired right up.
Still get that repetitive click, click, click without the engine turning over.

Yes, I've tried to start it this afternoon as well. Temperature is 70 degrees. Also tried to jump start it and no go. Battery still seems strong. Would have thought with the jump start it would have fired right up.
Still get that repetitive click, click, click without the engine turning over.

Well it looks like were both in the same boat about 10min after posting above I went out and tried to start mine and got nothin. Lol
Good Luck Keep us posted on what you find,

check all the wires leading from the battery down to the frame and starter, could be either wire is all corroded inside and will not carry enough juice ,

Check your grounds also, the starter, the engine to frame, body to frame...ect. A bad ground somewhere can mess all kinds of things up. Could the starter be bad?

If you have not already tried, I would disconnect cables from the battery and clean with steel brush or other and then reconnnect along with then trying to jump or by charging. If that is not it, then trace ground to frame and be sure connection there is clean. If that is not it and you still cannot get a start with a jump or charger, then it could be your starter.

when was the last time you checked your water/acid levels in your cells???

Most modern batteries are maintenance free.

I had the same problem. From reading around I read it's the starter solenoid. I bought a new one but need to install it

Back