super squeaky leaf spring bushings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

super squeaky leaf spring bushings

cerberusaardvark

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
i removed my leaf springs, put in an add a leaf and had a shop press in new ford brand leaf spring eye bushings about 2 years ago. now my passenger side bushing in front of the axle never stops squeaking. the bolts are tight and theres no loose hardware, but ive tried everything to stop the squeak and nothing has worked.

the best thing ive found is spraying the bushing area with a hose and it quiets down a while. should i remove the old bushing and replace with polyuerethane instead of rubber?

You can use the same thing they use on polyurethane bushings to stop the squeak - marine boat trailer wheel bearing grease. It should be parrafin/wax based and won't affect the rubber or metal like petroleum-based grease can.

If you don't want to buy a whole tube of the stuff, you can just get grease packets or tubs of Energy Suspension Formula 5 prelube from parts stores like Autozone for a few bucks.

Squirt it around the bushing or use a knife to spread it around and work it into the space between the bushing and the frame hanger.

It might not do much though, if the squeak is due to the rubber bushing having seperated from the metal sheath it's enclosed in. Might be worth a shot compared to the hassle of removing the springs and then pressing out bushings again.

Poly bushings are generally a good replacement option, but they can squeak too, hence the grease. The ones I had squeaked for awhile, even properly greased, before they finally broke in and have been quiet ever since.

Back