Supercharger / Turbocharger Information. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Supercharger / Turbocharger Information.

I understand how a turbocharger and supercharger work. The turbo's usually are exhaust driven and compress air, and the supercharger's are just pulley driven. They force air into the engine at a faster speed then the engine would normally pull it in. All this I understand.

But what I don't understand, is a simple question.

I see people putting super and turbo's on almost any car, and was wondering what type of condition does your engine have to be in? I know it can't be a POS and throw it on there, but how safe is it to run with 100k+ miles? I've just always wondered at what point is it to late to consider this.

I have a 93 with 260k miles, and I believe it has a lifter tick, but is nothing serious. Still pulls hard, revs and idles nicely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had asked the same question in regards to my 98 explorer and some wise people on here had said make sure you get a compression test. you have to think of the extra load you're putting on the motor not only the transmission through the tourqe converter but out to your drive shaft and half shafts youre going to hadd more punds per ft at the ground engine wise gaskets may rupture so you may want to think a bit about it. I wouldn't say there is defintive cutoff in a book but if youre engine can't handle it youre going to put you lifters where you don't want them

Im no expert but It all depends on the condition of the motor and the only way to truly know that is to take it apart and look. But if you get decent mileage and don't burn oil then I'd trust it with a few psi from a turbo. As they are not as hard on engines as superchargers.

The key is to take it slowly as you increase from no boost to I'd say at most 5 psi, and the whole time drive with the radio off and just listen to the engine. She'll tell you when she's in trouble. also might drop it by a trusted mechanic and ask him to look at it an check the usual stuff and ask him if he thinks thereis any reason he thinks you should not boost.

From what I remember you get pretty good mileage and I don't recall any oil problems you've had.

3-5 psishould give you some extra power while being safe.

Once again I'm no expert this is just stuff I've Lear we while researching my own turbo project.

oh and yes, compression check is mandatory
Hopefully some one more knowledgable will comment.

Oh and for the lifter tick may I suggest a seafoam cleanse and then oil stabilizer.

There are two items you will want to take into account and then compare to one another. One of these was more or less already covered in a previous post here...

First off, in brand new condition how much do you believe your vehicle could handle when it comes to power.

Second, you will want to determine the current condition of your entire drivetrain. Your engine may be running strong but if it is backed by a weak tranny then you will still have issues. Compression test is a good one to do as well as just assessing the overall history of how the engine, trans, rear end have performed since you owned the vehicle.

If things run pretty solid then your vehicle may be a good candidate for forced induction. How much boost you can run will be determined by your overall assessment of items 1&2 combined.

There is not rule saying that "this equals that" when determining this stuff. It is more a situation you have to really take an honest and unbiased look at.

I've considered supercharging as well. But since my Explorer has sentimental value to me, I'd be devastated if I blew my motor/Tranny. That's what I'd have to take into account. But even if I did consider also for my 5.0, I wouldn't go extreme. Just a nice extra boost to compliment my Headers,Exhaust, and soon to be tuned truck.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

I haven't given to much thought to doing this, but it is something that's always interested me. If not the Explorer, then maybe something else like a Prelude or VW.

Don't know if anyone has seen this, but I came across it last night:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/STREET-FRE...MS/GP_2011788_N_111+10201+600002080_10101.jcw

I thought it looked interesting. Kinda like a fan used to blow up those kiddie jumping pens, or whatever they're called.

There are some very good points in here. I always said just do a compression test to see the health of the engine and never really thought much about the rest of the stuff. So far, knock on wood, I’ve only experienced small problems, since the turbo install, and they were my fault.

I checked out that link.

"not designed for more than 30 minutes of continuous use"

Crackin me up

Back