superchips...flip chip or regular? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

superchips...flip chip or regular?

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
I am considering buying a superchip. I am not sure weather I should buy the normal one or if I should spend the extra for a flip-chip. Anyone who has a superchip, please let me know how you like it (or if you dislike it). Also is it worth the extra for the flip-chip so if gas prices go back up then I don't have to run premium? Also does anyone know if you have to put in a cooler T-stat if your running a superchip? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

flipchip sounds awesome but it is a lot more expensive than the regular chip./

I saw some flip chips for $325. thats a lot off the $425 SRP compared to the regular chips with a $265 SRP and $205 selling price. SOmeone who has used either of these products, please give your opinion

what is the difference in price?

Hellooooo,

I bought a superchip for my '01 explorer with a SOHC six banger and saw no improvement at all and I mean zip!

Good luck!

Originally posted by woops
Hellooooo,

I bought a superchip for my '01 explorer with a SOHC six banger and saw no improvement at all and I mean zip!

Good luck!

Would you please elaborate?

Yeah, i'd also like some elaboration. It claims like 16 HP and stuff, but I dunno.

Originally posted by aldive

Would you please elaborate?
I did not by the " flip-chip " version. I simply provided Superchips my computer code and they supplied me the chip. I did all the right things for the installation, ie.- reset the computer used premium fuel. I saw no improvement at all. I did not do any other mods, but Superchips claim 16-20 hp with just the chip. ---hope this helps.

I have never heard of anyone getting no performance gain from this chip. Did you contact the manufacturer and discus the problem with them? Is it possible that you got a "bad" chip?

i wish we had other opinions on this issue. I do not want to blow $200+ if it's not going to improve anything

Originally posted by aldive
I have never heard of anyone getting no performance gain from this chip. Did you contact the manufacturer and discus the problem with them? Is it possible that you got a "bad" chip?
Yep, sure did contact Superchips. In fact, when I first got the chip from them I had a " no start condition ". So I had to send the chip back along with my vehicles computer. It all came back in record time and they cured the " no start condition ", but I see no performance improvement at all.

Have you discussed the "no improvement" situation with the people at Superchips? What did they offer?

Thanks....

I bought one for my 94. & I notice an improvment. It really works best with other mods though. I'm sending it back to get reprogrammed to work better with the other mods I have done.

Jason did you notice any "bogging down" or hesitation with your 66mm BBK throttle body and the superchip?

My SuperChip on my '97 SOHC provides more "seat of the pants" improvement than my Borla and my K&N FIPK. I am very satisfied with the improvement it made to mine. I was very reluctant to purchase another one after my experience with a SuperChip on my '94 4.0L Ranger. It was a complete waste on my Ranger, however my Ranger did have a manual transmission. I felt absolutely no improvement on my Ranger ans swore I would never buy another one. After reading enough posts from people that have had good sucess on the SOHC I took a chance. In my opinion, the chance paid off.

That's my dilema right now. I have the 4.0OHV with MANUAL transmission. I don' think I will get my monies worth out of the chip. A big plus for chip owners is the change in shifting points with their trannies. As for me...I think the only plus I would get is some minimal engine difference...nothing worth 2-3 hundred bucks????

I think the problem is, (this comes from my research into getting a chip) that a lot of the percieved "power" from a superchip on any mildly modified (ie, stock cam, stock heads) vehicle comes from the changes in the the way the AUTO tranny will deal with things, thus no improvement for us real men (j/k auto tranny guys) I would think the money would be better off spent on headers or heck, lower gears will make the vehicle feel faster, and burn a little more gas, I would imagine it'd be about the same or less costwise as running premium.

Back