Superlift driveshaft vibrations... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Superlift driveshaft vibrations...

adarkang

Reaction score
City, State
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer
Well I finally got my superlift driveshaft and after I installed it, I took it for a test drive. Drove around for about 20 miles at 40mph and below, everything is fine. Then I decided to take it onto the freeway and test it out since that was where I was having issues with my stock driveshaft in with my current lift. everything seemed normal until I hit about 55mph +. Above 55 the driveshaft starts to rumble (vibrate) a decent amount. I got it upto 75 and the intensity of the vibration stayed the same from about 60-70mph then intesified around 75mph. That's when I got scared and let off the gas, I didnt want to push my luck. So basically, heres a list of the symptoms and before driveshaft and after driveshaft install.

After 5" RCD lift:

1) Stock driveshaft: no vibration til about 65+mph then the driveshaft started to vibrate very badly, to the point where I had to slow down the vehicle to 50mph to stop the vibration.

2) No front driveshaft: No noticeable vibrations.

3) Superlift driveshaft: Slight vibration starts at 55mph then remains contant to about 70mph then intensifies at 75mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you left your front driveshaft out for a certain amount of time? What t-case do u have 4405?

-Drew

EDIT: i'm pretty sure you have the 4405... I had an issue with my front driveshaft at around 35/40 and up that it'll make a horrible noise and you could feel it on the floor boards. Turns out my tcase is shot. May be the chain, but we'll find out when I take it apart.

Yes I have the 4405! but there really is not a noise.... the noise that I hear is a rumble like a constant vibration.

Well, like I and TAXX figured out - the best way to figure out noises like this is a lift. I had access to the lifts at work, but wanted to figure the probably out without wasting time after work. I ended up having some time to do so and I found the problem right away. I still think your issue is in your tcase. I tried the stock and new shaft which puts different loads and angles on it, but about the same at the diff - and the MPH vibration issues would be different with each shaft. So either both shafts are fubar, or your tcase is.

-Drew

Are you planning on rebuilding your transfer case? or having it professionally done?

that brings up a good question - what is it called when a technician works on something? Is that professionally done or DIY? :confused:

Anyhow, yeah I plan on doing it myself. It isn't worth it (to me) to send it out and get it rebuilt. GLacier991 is doing a rebuild as well ...soon...sometime.

-Drew

Back